Model 6 Project + Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gfunk333 View Post
    Any thoughts on why they would put a veneer on the front and back of the bodies?
    Read rjohnstone's 1st post again. It is to hide the seams.

There you go, Rick. I think DonP quoted the wrong person
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      Hey Majestic!

A couple of things; A model 6 is a great guitar, and definitely deserves an OFR. However, you will probably find that the bushings for the OFR are a little too small for the holes in the body - in which case you'll have to plug them and redrill.
      He could put Model series posts in those holes and just drop a OFR right in, couldn't he?
      Just one more guitar!

Comment

Yep... some JT-6 trem posts are what you need.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic12 View Post
          He can also do the "wedge" mod for me if I choose to use an original Floyd Rose locking nut.

I just had a Floyd shelf installed on my model 6 project, and it came out great. It's a much better option, imho, than installing a standard nut with a Kahler behind-the-nut lock. For the anchors (since I had the same diameter) I hunted down a donor 3DR body and pulled them. You can get excellent posts made for floyds that fit JT-6 anchors from fretsonthenet.com.

Comment

Originally posted by dpivar View Post
            I just had a Floyd shelf installed on my model 6 project, and it came out great. It's a much better option, imho, than installing a standard nut with a Kahler behind-the-nut lock. For the anchors (since I had the same diameter) I hunted down a donor 3DR body and pulled them. You can get excellent posts made for floyds that fit JT-6 anchors from fretsonthenet.com.
            Yeah, I think that it would be worthwhile to do the shelf mod so if I decide on a OFR rather that a Kahler, I will definitely do that.

I have also been interested in EMG pickups for some time, but do not often see people with them in their Model 6s. has anyone else apart from catzodellamarina have experience with these and do they come recommended?

Also, I was having a chat with my friend about how to go about painting the guitar. I was planning on leaving the back of the neck unpainted, just oiled, but also leave the back of the headstock unpainted too. My friend thinks that if I am going to paint the front of the headstock, I should also paint the back of it and just leave a strip of unpainted wood for the back of my neck. What do you guys think? Should I praise him or beat him?
            Thanks very much everyone, things are going to start moving soon!!!
            I will keep it updated here though!

Comment

Beat him... Just paint the face of the headstock and the body.
              Leave the rest of the neck and back of the headstock alone.
              You will be pleased with the results.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Beat him... Just paint the face of the headstock and the body.
                Leave the rest of the neck and back of the headstock alone.
                You will be pleased with the results.
                totally
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Started the ball rolling

I purchased a few items for my project the other day. It is good to feel like things are coming along.
                  I bought an Original Floyd Rose in gold with an r3 nut...I understand that this is the correct one. I decided on the Floyd rather than the Kahler because my guitar has already been routed out to fit a Floyd and it would have been a waste of wood already removed to have a Kahler installed.

I also decided on my pickups...EMGs! After looking around the net for the last few years, I never really found a pickup that interested me enough for my Model 6 from Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan, particularly the singles. I read some reviews and considering that the 6 was originally designed to have booster circuits etc, I thought why not just chuck in some EMGs and be done with it! I also have enough space and holes to fit something like a PA2 preamp or an Afterburner in! Oh, the pickups are a 81-S-S setup in white by the way!

I bought all my stuff from www.guitarpartsdepot.com They had a pretty good selection of items and the best prices I have found. And they offer international shipping as reasonable prices too. I am not sure if I will get stung by customs here as that can be a bit of a bitch, but considering I paid about half what I would expect to pay had I gone to a guitar shop in London, we should be all good!

I will update again when more things get done. I have now paid for the more expensive of my items which is good....still have to pay for the paint job and other mods though....!

I am still very interested in anyones experience with Model 6s. Especially if people have used EMGs/fitted an OFR etc similar to what I have planned.
                  Thanks people!

Comment

The Kahler nut was installed on Floyded guitars too man. To me it makes no difference. Everthing would work fine, you'd just need to fit the OFR nut whereas the Kahler would just be a straight retrofit.

Comment

Originally posted by pott View Post
                      The Kahler nut was installed on Floyded guitars too man. To me it makes no difference. Everthing would work fine, you'd just need to fit the OFR nut whereas the Kahler would just be a straight retrofit.
                      Sorry, I meant with the actual tremelo bridge rather than the nut. I have never seen an 86 Model 6 so I do not know, but I kind of assumed that since a Kahler is a top-mounted tremelo rather than a back-mounted(?) tremelo like a Floyd, any 86 Model 6 would have less wood routed out? And as my 6 was made in 87, it came with a Floyd. If I was to fit a Kahler on it, I would have a big hole in the back for no reason!
                      This is just speculation as I do not know anything really about Kahlers and the older Charvels that came with them. Can anyone confirm (or refute) this wild claim?!

Comment

Working...
                      X