Model 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3?

Hey guys I posted something similar in the E-fraid ebay thread so i hope i don't get flamed by the mods. It's in regards to what I think is a 86 model 3.

I'm working on the guy to send the serial no. So far he has obliged one of my requests to post a couple more pics so we'll see what happens.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome

Cheers

It looks like an '86 Model 3 with an added floyd. These originally came with a Kahler Fulcrum trem. My only concern is that the they used the screw-in posts rather than bushings. Basswood can be pretty soft and the screws can tend to lean or even pull out of soft wood. I'd probably put bushings in it if it were me.

Comment

Thanks dg. Would it be difficult to replace the screws with bushings? The price is pretty low at the moment (maybe there is a good reason). It also looks like the pups have been replaced as well.

At this point it doesnt seem like a bad buy. Is it possible to install a fulcrum trem back in?

Comment

It should be pretty easy to drill the existing screw holes to size for bushings, as long as they were positioned right in the first place. Make sure to use a drill press, though. IMO, that would be better than going back to the Fulcrum. Not a bad trem, but the ofr is better by far, and there's no collectors' value or anything to be gained by going back. You may find that the screw-in posts are solid and doing fine, but I just get nervous after some of the ones I've seen. Seems like alder, ash, maple, etc. do way better with the screws than basswood.

Comment

Cool i've got a mate who's pretty handy with a drill press so if it does come to that i will have some options. I would prefer to keep the ofr so i can pop a d-tuna in it.

Comment

Working...
          X