Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what is the Holy grail of Import Charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what is the Holy grail of Import Charvels?

Just curious because im thinking about picking one up. I dont own a Charvel currently but am wanting to pickup something in the Sub $500 price point.

I like Single Hum and Floyd. Not set on this though, would'nt min H/S/S

Reccomendations?

any of the Model series are great guitars.

As far as holy grails? I would think probably the 750XL. It is the full appointed top of the line, a step up even from the much vaunted Model series.

a lot of folks like the Model 6 & 650XL. Both are basically Soloists.

And the Model 88 holds a lot of appeal for it's floyd/single hum aeshetic, the mahogany body and the fact that not a lot of them were made.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Am I correct in assuming the higher the number went the better the guitar was?

ie: a Model 2 was lesser than a Model 4? etc..

Comment

For the most part that holds true, but a Model 7 was a tele introduced in '88, and I wouldn't say it's "better" than a 4, 5, or 6. They're awesome, but I'd sell mine before I parted with my 6 any day.

Comment

Not selling mine for less than 500, ever...but there should be some
          deals out there. I like the model 2's, myself.

I'm sure there's a bunch around.

This is a Model88, slightly modded. (Tone control and damn sticker)

Comment

I'd have to disagree. For the Model series, model number designation is no indication of increasing quality. It was more a differentiation of features. Being for the most part Models 1, 2, 3, 4, (solid colored, tobacco burst was ash) 7, and 8 all had basswood bodies and maple necks. The differences (besides the 7 which was a tele body and the 3DR which was the first Dinky) were for the most part hardware and pickup configurations. The neck-thru models (5 and 6) were also similar in basic components (poplar body wings, maple neck-thru construction) and differ in hardware and pickup configurations.

As far as a "Holy Grail" import Charvel, I really wouldn't consider any of them as such. To me "Holy Grail" would be something that everyone knows about but are relatively unable to obtain. Import Charvels are pretty well obtainable. Some may not be available as much as one would want, but with some patience, anyone could score a desirable import model Charvel.

With that said, possibly the model closest to being a "Holy Grail" would be the Model 8 or the Model 8M. (which then went on to be the Charvel Spectrum when the Contemporary Series was released) They are ultra rare and yet, not very many know they even exist.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Tekky, I love it when you chime in a Model Series thread.... always good reading

Comment

that's an important distinction Todd makes, that the numbers denote a different feature set and aren't connected to the quality of the instruments. If that was the case, then Model 88s must be off the hook good!

I've seen folks on other forums post that they didn't want some crappy Model 1 but desired the much nicer Model 4. The basis for both guitars is the same. The Model 1 was a more basic guitar (plastic dot inlays, v-trem, single hum, no tone control) and the Model 4 more featured (MOP dots (later with sharkies), locking trem system, H-S-S with 3 toggles, tone knob & midboost). That's why the M4s originally cost more than the M1s, not because the M1s were some crappy slap-together while the M4s were lovingly put together by Charvel artisans, but because you were paying more for more features.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Model 6 = neck thru. . binding,active electronics. . pretty much a soloist, but had a Jackson trem. I had one in the day in pearl white.I loved it with black HDWR.
                  Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

750XL. It rivals my LP's. Just a badass mofo guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                      I'd have to disagree. For the Model series, model number designation is no indication of increasing quality. It was more a differentiation of features.
                      precisely. every single Model series was excellent quality and well made in every respect. the numbers were strictly a features denotation.

dg, this is the first & only time I've ever seen you fall down on a Charvel import answer.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

So what is the Holy grail of Import Charvels?

> In my mind,the couple of damn near mint/unplayed Model 6's in white or vintage yellowed,I've seen both. Tommy D.
                        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

They are all great guitars.The model 88 for me is the holy grail of the import Charvels next would be a 750 XL
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                            Tekky, I love it when you chime in a Model Series thread.... always good reading
                            Thanks. I appreciate that. Maybe I'll try posting more of my jibba jabba.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Solid info Tekky well done.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X