Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what is the Holy grail of Import Charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't go wrong with the Model series, I personally like the 1-4 because they have full size bodies. My keeper is a white Model 2 I had scalloped with a Super III, I blocked the Kahler because it won't hold tune for shit. If you get a Model 2 look for a 87-88 with the Jackson Floyd, I don't think you'd like the Kahler fulcrum. I am looking for a 1A and a 3A to add to my collection!
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

For me, it would be the Model 8M in pink (needless to say ) but as for my actual favorite, it would easily be the 750XL.
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        They are all great guitars.The model 88 for me is the holy grail of the import Charvels next would be a 750 XL
        Thank you, stray, I'll take that as a personal compliment...

Comment

I love my 88 as well, they have a great feeling neck and with the mahogany body, the tone is amazing-

Dave ->

Comment

I like it in natural.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Im a sucker for Model series Charvels. They are easy to upgrade with a Floyd. I have almost every model. Everyone model has different features so depending on what you are looking for would determine which model would be best for you. Sounds like you want a Model 2 or 4 if you want a bolt on 5a or a 6 for a neck thru. I am still looking for Model 88. I guess that would be my Holy Grail Model series guitar. You cant go wrong with any model series guitar. I personally like the 3a because it has 2 humbuckers. Good luck on your hunt.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

My "Holy Grail" import Charvel has always been the Model 5..........Ever since I saw one in the '88 catalogue. Yesterday, after 19 years was my lucky day. One came in (Snow White, now vintage white) to our shop on a trade!!! Just need to pay for it on Tuesday!!!
                Pictures to follow.....

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                  Im a sucker for Model series Charvels. They are easy to upgrade with a Floyd. I have almost every model. Everyone model has different features so depending on what you are looking for would determine which model would be best for you. Sounds like you want a Model 2 or 4 if you want a bolt on 5a or a 6 for a neck thru. I am still looking for Model 88. I guess that would be my Holy Grail Model series guitar. You cant go wrong with any model series guitar. I personally like the 3a because it has 2 humbuckers. Good luck on your hunt.
                  http://audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Ch1...orts/index.htm
                  I like my mod 88, one reason is because I don't find myself going after the pickup switch for a different tone, just tweak the volume knob. I don't know what the original pickup would have sounded like, but the emg that is on it is sweet for this guitar. BTW...how do I ID this pup? It has gold lettering, active, and added tone control.

It actually sounds great driving my vintage deluxe reverb, as well as shredding. It has a subtle voice with the vol backed off.

Comment

Gold is an 85.IIRC

Comment

85 good? Would it be worth anything for me to hunt down the original Jackson
                      pup for it? And, was the original passive?

Comment

I've not long had a 86 model 3. Needs a bit of work to get it to decent playability but it looks solid. Needless to say I'm on the hunt for more

Comment

I have had all of the model series except for the variants of the 3 and model 8M.

Comment

Hey Dave/Budman68: Is that the original body on the Model 88? Did you refinish it?

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              I have had all of the model series except for the variants of the 3 and model 8M.
                              You have pictures of your Model 8?
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
                                Hey Dave/Budman68: Is that the original body on the Model 88? Did you refinish it?

Yes, sir, it was a project I picked up along the way that was in very bad shape. I actually did make an attempt to re-do the burst but it just wouldn't come out perfectly. I had always wanted an oiled finish and went with that instead.
                                Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                                X