Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what is the Holy grail of Import Charvels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
    I love my 88 as well, they have a great feeling neck and with the mahogany body, the tone is amazing-

Thats it! Thats the reason I started this thread. That is the guitar I want right there.

Model 88 it is! Thanks guys. Now the hunt begins. Pawn shops watch out!

Comment

Dave/Budman68: I thought so....Looks Killer!

Gino: To have one like Dave's exact guitar you'd have to find a Model 88 and refinish it! Model 88s comes in the Tobacco Burst!

Comment

I love the 750Xl. A lot of guys here do.

I tried to play a song using mine here:

Rules of the Game by Shawn LaneThis is one of the easier Shawn Lane songs. Which is not saying much. As you can hear, some parts I found hard.This is take tw...
        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
          Dave/Budman68: I thought so....Looks Killer!

Gino: To have one like Dave's exact guitar you'd have to find a Model 88 and refinish it! Model 88s comes in the Tobacco Burst!
          Everyone has an opinion, I love my Model 88's original burst finish. If I was to want a natural, (don't get me wrong here), I would find a model 2 and stain
          and oil it.

It does look good, just wouldn't want to mess with the original finish on a rare guitar, if I didn't have to.

I've seen that some have had problems with the finish on theirs. Mine is kept at home, no problems yet.

Comment

Well personally ,the "Holy Grail" is a Model 2.It is weird to see "Clones" of the model 2,but I dont see clones of the other Models.It may be reachable to have a Model 2,BUT they are in demand.
            HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
            Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
            (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
            Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
            Boss TU-2
            2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
            1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
            1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Comment

My favorite is the Model 2. Simple straight up rockers!

Comment

Oh man...with the Strat headstock. Thats tits!

What year is that?

So what is the deal with the TOOTHPASTE Charvels? INferior for some reason? They seem to get alot of flack but then is'nt the 750xl one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                  Everyone has an opinion, I love my Model 88's original burst finish. If I was to want a natural, (don't get me wrong here), I would find a model 2 and stain
                  and oil it.
                  a stained, oiled basswood stratbody Model 2 isn't going to look like a mahogany dinky Model 88. Isn't going to sound like one either.

Dave's was in need of a refin anyway. And I like the end result better than the original.

Originally posted by ~gino~ View Post
                  So what is the deal with the TOOTHPASTE Charvels? INferior for some reason? They seem to get alot of flack but then is'nt the 750xl one of them?
                  the toothpaste Charvels don't get flack around here. They are good guitars, often with better hardware than the Model series.

But the Models are full size strats, which appeals to the old schoolers here. Plus some just don't like the toothpaste logo.

I have 550XL which sits very comfortably amongst my Models. They're all good
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Some of the low end toothpasties came with single locking trems, etc. But I'd say the high-end models are often better buys than the model series, due to higher quality Floyds.

Comment

Originally posted by ~gino~ View Post
                      Oh man...with the Strat headstock. Thats tits!

What year is that?

Gino, it's an 87 or 88 Model 2...it's a poor mans strat head. Yeah I probably sunk way too much money into it, but it's exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the compliment on it.

Comment

Cool. Im going to pick up my Model 2 right now. Will post pics when I get back. If I decide I like it once I get there.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post

the toothpaste Charvels don't get flack around here. They are good guitars, often with better hardware than the Model series.

But the Models are full size strats, which appeals to the old schoolers here. Plus some just don't like the toothpaste logo.

I have 550XL which sits very comfortably amongst my Models. They're all good
                          Plus the Models series had non-recessed trems.
                          Just one more guitar!

Comment

the 550XL is neckthru with a non-recessed Schaller. It's about as close to a Shannon Soloist as I'll ever get

they did have routing behind the trem for extra pullup though
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

550 XLs rock.The toothpaste Charvels are fine guitars.IMO the logo sucks but the guitars are top notch.The pickups at this point were starting to suck as well.The model series came with the USA J series pickups which kick ass.The 90s J-50s were very nice pickups tho and fit in the standard rings.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I like my Model 6 very much....But yet to find the "holy grail"
                                Hopefully my visit to Japan will bring me some goodies..

Parents probably wont let me get much tho
                                Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Working...
                                X