Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J90c

Hi,
    I have just compared the J90Cs in my Model 3 and 375. The one in the 375 seems to be "F-spaced".
    model 3: pole distance 49,5 mm (between outer poles), resistence 15 kohm (approximately)
    375: pole distance 53,6 mm, resistance 18 kohm
    I can see in the '87 brochure that the resistance should be 15.93 kohm

Anyone who can shed more light on this?
    Claus.

The earlier Jackson pickups had standard spacing. String spacing on the JT-6 trem was 2" rather than the 2 1/8" of a floyd rose trem. In '89, they switched to the Schaller JT-590 which has 2 1/8" spacing, and they changed the pickups. Not sure about the higher resistance, but it wouldn't surprise me that they bumped up the output of the pickups, as others in the market were going with hotter models.

Comment

They were manufactured in different locations throughout their production, and I would guess that is the main reason for the discrepancies you're seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        The earlier Jackson pickups had standard spacing. String spacing on the JT-6 trem was 2" rather than the 2 1/8" of a floyd rose trem. In '89, they switched to the Schaller JT-590 which has 2 1/8" spacing, and they changed the pickups. Not sure about the higher resistance, but it wouldn't surprise me that they bumped up the output of the pickups, as others in the market were going with hotter models.
        I hadn't noticed the 2" string spacing of the JT-6 but you are right.
        My model 3 was original equipped with a Kahler Fulcrum. I have never had strings on that, but wasn't the string spacing of the Fulcrum closer to the floyd? Did they introduce the JT-6 after the Kahler units?
        Claus.

Comment

Originally posted by VilmerX View Post
          I hadn't noticed the 2" string spacing of the JT-6 but you are right.
          My model 3 was original equipped with a Kahler Fulcrum. I have never had strings on that, but wasn't the string spacing of the Fulcrum closer to the floyd? Did they introduce the JT-6 after the Kahler units?
          Yup, the JT-6 came later. As for pickups in general - I'm unsure at this point how early "trem spaced" humbuckers were invented. I seem to remember them being advertised as a novelty in the late 80's(?).

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            Yup, the JT-6 came later. As for pickups in general - I'm unsure at this point how early "trem spaced" humbuckers were invented. I seem to remember them being advertised as a novelty in the late 80's(?).
            Late 80's... isn't that after the heyday of the "superstrat"? I can see on www.floydrose.com that they introduced the floyd in '77. Wondering why it took so long to develop. For me it seems quite trivial to increase the pole spacing, but on the other hand I don't know anything about pickup winding machinery.
            Claus.

Comment

Yeah, it took a while for the Floyd to have its real breakthrough, even though there were extreme trem abusers way earlier. As for the trem spaced 'buckers...well, ordinary ones somehow worked fine until the trem-spaced variety was invented.

And correct me if I'm mistaken...but Floyds have the same string spacing as the original Fender v-trems, right? For long I lived with the notion that DiMarzio's "F-spaced" humbuckers meant "Fender spaced".

Comment

Working...
              X