changing the pickguard on a model series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing the pickguard on a model series

I recently picked up a model 3 with a pickguard routed for HSS and it's got the Kahler fulcrum tremolo on it. Thing is I can't stand the middle pickup because I always hit it when I'm picking. I don't want a tone knob either.

So I want to replace the pickguard with one routed HxS. Will a standard strat pickguard mount on the guitar with no problems? I thought maybe one of you guys have done it before and I don't have a strat to compare the pickguard to.
    I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Standard strat pickguard has 11 holes and the model series has 8 holes. The standard strat pickguard from all parts or other vendors are cut just a little different and the holes don't match up.Just screw down the middle pickup to get it out of the way.You can get an unrouted pick guard and do it yourself.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I replaced the guard on my Model 1A with a flamed maple job from Warmoth.

I spent the afternoon digging through a bin full of pickguards looking for a match with the Charvel one until I found this one. The only hole that didn't match up was the one on the horn. As you can see, it's an 11 hole guard, but I just left the other 3 holes empty.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

There are actually 3 different strat pickguards. Two of them are 8-holes. I can't remember which one I ordered with my Model 1R (a mutt I made) But, it fit very well. But, if you have the wrong pickguard, filling and re-drilling shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's all going to be covered up by the pickguard anyway.

Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          As you can see, it's an 11 hole guard, but I just left the other 3 holes empty.
          Those 3 holes look, well, how shall I put it..., terrible! You could cut off the head of a screw and glue it in the hole with superglue. So you don't damage the wood beneath it.
          Btw, pickguard looks fine!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just going to order one from Warmoth along with some other parts I need so I'll just go ahead and do that.
            I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just watch though. I put a regular strat style pickguard on my Model 1A body and the only problem I had was there was one spot where the route inderneath showed just a little. If you look at a regular strat it would be in the area right by the pickguard screw that is located right below the blade switch (hope that describes it enough!) I had to shift the pickguard around a little to make the gap "almost" disappear. It was enough that you really have to be looking in that spot to see it. Hope this helps!
              Guitars:
              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
              1988 Model 2,
              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
              RR3
              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

All Parts sells a blank with only 4 screw holes and no pickup routes.
                Great for making monstrosities like this.

-Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Bert K View Post
                  Those 3 holes look, well, how shall I put it..., terrible!
                  y'know, last show I played, someone came up to me and said they were really enjoying the music. Right up until they noticed the 3 screw holes, which apparently ruined their entire evening.

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                  Just watch though. I put a regular strat style pickguard on my Model 1A body and the only problem I had was there was one spot where the route inderneath showed just a little. If you look at a regular strat it would be in the area right by the pickguard screw that is located right below the blade switch (hope that describes it enough!) I had to shift the pickguard around a little to make the gap "almost" disappear. It was enough that you really have to be looking in that spot to see it. Hope this helps!
                  That's just why I took the pickguard with me to the store. Most of the aftermarket strat pickguards I found didn't match up well to the Charvel guard. I only found a couple that were a close match, and fortunately, I liked this one.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I've heard good things about Jeannie pickguards. They can do an exact shape match and whatever screw hole pattern (or none).

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      y'know, last show I played, someone came up to me and said they were really enjoying the music. Right up until they noticed the 3 screw holes, which apparently ruined their entire evening.
                      I'm sure you can do a great show even without a pickguard. But how about my idea to glue screwheads in the holes? That part I ment seriously.

Comment

Why go through all of that work, when if he really wanted to, he could drill a couple small holes and add the other screws?
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                          Why go through all of that work, when if he really wanted to, he could drill a couple small holes and add the other screws?
                          WORD!

Comment

True, ten minutes of work. But maybe he wats to keep the body undamaged?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert K View Post
                              True, ten minutes of work. But maybe he wats to keep the body undamaged?
                              I'm sorry, that just doesn't make sense to me. It's a pickguard. It covers up the "damage". I've never cut the heads off of screws before, but it just doesn't seem that the benefits would outweigh the risk here.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X