Why a 5way switch on an H-H guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a 5way switch on an H-H guitar

I just got a Model 3a. No pics yet. I just got home with it. So I'm going over it and it's got a 5 way blade switch. I found an old add and it shows that's what it came with.
    Can anyone give me the layout of the switch?

Thanks, bob

The 3A, the Model 5, and the 750XL all had the special 5-way switch. It allows for coil splitting, and can be wired a bunch of ways, but I'm pretty sure the standard way was:

Position 1 - neck pickup
    2 - outer coils of both pickups
    3 - both pickups (all coils)
    4 - inner coils of both pickups
    5 - bridge pickup

That's how my 750 is wired anyway. You can double-check by listening as you hold a screwdriver or allen wrench tip near the pole pieces (or lightly tap if necessary) in each of the switch positions.

Comment

I figured it was some kind of coil splitting. I had looked at it again after I posted the question and all 4 wires from each pickup went to the switch. Cool!

Thanks. I've never had a guitar wired that way. It will be some cool tones that I can't get from my other 80's guitars or my Strat.

Edit: 3 of the 4 wires go to the switch
      Last edited by shredhed; 10-06-2007, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Take a small screw driver and tap on the pole pieces of the pickups you will figure it out.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I haven't did my usually "strip it down and clean everything " yet. But here it is. I'd rate it at a 9/10

I got it for $199 with case

Comment

Working...
          X