Model 4 neck p/u problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 neck p/u problem!

Okay so here's my question. My model 4 has the original Jackon p/u's. And I must admit I'm quite impressed with the h/b at the bridge, very hot...but the damned neck p/u is SUPER weak?? What is the problem?? I understand it is a single coil, but when i switch to the neck p/u its like my amp volume drops by almost 90%, with so little volume i can't make any further judgements considering tone either..... Now, was this an issue with all these single coils, that they're just weak in nature, or perhaps do you think there might be a wiring issue here?? I've taken the panel off the back but I can't make any sense considering I'm a newb when it comes to the entrails of the guitar.... ??? The volume drops considerably, which leads me to believe its a wiring issue perhaps...i don't think the difference should be that dramatic between the h/b and the s/c....any help would be awesome.....

Are you the guy I met at Willcutts in Richmond Ky with the model 4?
    The neck is a stacked single which means its actually a humbucker you may have a wiring issue or a broken wire to one coil of the pickup.
    There should not be a drastic drop in vol so it sounds like only 1/2 of the neck pickup is working
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Mine are sound weak to me in my model 6 and I have no wiring issues.

Comment

It should at least sound the same as the middle pickup. If theres a drop off from that then you have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          Are you the guy I met at Willcutts in Richmond Ky with the model 4?
          The neck is a stacked single which means its actually a humbucker you may have a wiring issue or a broken wire to one coil of the pickup.
          There should not be a drastic drop in vol so it sounds like only 1/2 of the neck pickup is working
          Yes sir, that would be me!!! Ah, a stacked single...I did not realize that. Yeah that's what I'm thinking then, that I've got a wiring issue. Actually, I was at Willcutt's today, i'm gonna take the guitar into him next week and see if i can't resolve the problem...thanks for the help guys!!

Comment

Maybe the pickup height needs to be adjusted, this can make a weak sound if its too far from the strings.

Comment

Those stacked singles dont work well without the active circuit hooked up, but it seems the humbuckers do, is the circuit hooked up?
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I'll be at Willcutt's Sat maybe see you there.I will have trading material with me. I usualy pack 7 or 8 guitars with me on the weekends.If you get around Winchester sometime RS guitarworks could most likely figure out the pickup problem. They know their stuff and can fix most anything.I was a guitar tech there a couple of years ago.
                Welcome to the JCF its a great place to be.

Comment

The stacked singles are inherently really weak, and are next to useless without an onboard preamp of some sort.

Comment

Well my dinky XL has the J-200v's and they are a stacked single and they sound killer with an rsguitarworks upgrade kit.There may be a difference between the reg J-200 and the J200v intenaly other than the exposed pole pieces that darken them a bit.
                    My 86 USA soloist has the covered J-200s and a stock pre amp and they are pretty spanky and loud.
                    Last edited by straycat; 10-13-2007, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X