Model 6 pickup selection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 pickup selection.

Can anyone recremend a bridge pickup that will work well with the active midboost circuit in a model 6? Or is it possable to by-pass the midboost for the bridge pickup? I like the Evo That I use in my model 3A, but it may be too hot if used with the midboost.

I'm not sure what you can use with the midboost and I'm not sure if bypassing it is a good idea, but here is a link for the exact pickup on ebay if all you need is a replacement.

I'll keep searching for a good replacement and let you know if I come up with anything.

-Wadester
    Checkout My New Song Here

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6572063

Heres another one for ya's
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6643459

Comment

I've got a Duncan Custom in the bridge & Hot Rails in the neck of my Model 6 with the original electronics intact. It tends to sound a little more aggressive & compressed than the Customs in my other guitars, but I can compensate with the amp settings to some extent. I kinda like the compressed tone, but if I only had the one guitar, I'd probably remove the midboost for better versatility. I have a Custom 5 sitting around that I may try in there. I didn't like the scooped mids it had in the other guitars I tried it in, but the midboost might be just the thing for it, plus it has a little less output than the Custom, which may also be a plus.

Comment

I have a Duncan Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails in my 650xl. The Distortion sounded great with and without the boost. Although. I think the Distortion sounded better without the boost and the Hot Rails and Cool Rails sounded better with. Eh, what can you do?

Comment

I'm looking for something to replace the j-50. I don't really like the sound, and it's a bit noisy. I'm not really worried about versatility. The other guitarist in my band uses a les paul /59/JB ,and I'm going for a sound of my own that is noticablly different from his. I was looking at the S. Duncan website for different options. If I didn't use the midboost the Dimebucker may be an option, but may too much with the midboost.The Screamin Demon looks like it's less agressive. Have you tried either of them in anything? I may try a Custom 5, and I"ve got a Hot Rails in another guitar that I don't use much anymore, that I was considering swapping out. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell View Post
            I have a Duncan Distortion/Cool Rails/Hot Rails in my 650xl. The Distortion sounded great with and without the boost. Although. I think the Distortion sounded better without the boost and the Hot Rails and Cool Rails sounded better with. Eh, what can you do?
            I kinda wanted to use the midboost because I think it would be unique as compaired to other guitars, but I'm somewhat prepaired to try a few different pickup combinations with or without the boost. Judging from the specs. the Distortion looks like it would be a good option without the boost, but I guess the only way to tell for sure is to hear it through my rig that I use everyday. It's an ongoing battle. I don't think anyone's 100% happy with their sound all of the time. I know I'm not. Well maybe sometimes,after a few beers.

Comment

I tried a Pafpro (medium output) with the mid-boost and it was still very hot, perhaps a vintage output Dimarzio would be the way to go.
              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I put a Duncan Distortion in the bridge of mine with a lil JB in the middle and a lil 59 in the neck. Sounds great!

Comment

With or without the midboost?

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                    With or without the midboost?
                    ME???? With!

Comment

A J-50 is the most like a PAF compared to the others suggested.Try a J-90c they kick ass with the mid boost if you want a hard driving bridge pickup and nice and tight when the boost os off.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a J-80c that I was thinking about trying. Is there a big difference in that and a J-90c? Also how dose a S.Duncan distortion compare to a Super Distortion? I've used them before. Strong but a bit harsh.

Comment

+1 on the Duncan Distortion

Comment

J-80c is a ceramic magnet pickup the lower end but a distortion class pickup.The J-90c is hotter and tighter.Both work well in a basswood body.
                            Your guitar is maple neck thru with poplar body wings.I would think the DD should work well.
                            Even tho I'm not an EMG guy but the 81 and SA/SA sound great in a model 6.
                            IMO an old DiMarzio super D works in most applications.
                            I think the super D is a great all around pickup.The older ones have more bottom end and sound fuller.I have had them in everthing from a L.P to PRS.
                            If you are keeping the mid boost I'd go with the DD and get two classic stack singles.I know this combo works well.You could keep this pickup set up and just go with an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit I think you would have over all better tone and no preamp noise.
                            Don't get me wrong I love the Jackson mid boost system but in a neck thru it lacks just a little bite. In a bolt on they sound good.
                            Last edited by straycat; 12-09-2007, 01:04 PM.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a J80C in my M6, and I love the sound - it nails the 80's metal tone to a T (think early Motley Crue...Shout at the Devil era). It has a sweeeet upper mid-range spike, and doesn't get muddy in the lower register. The output straight out of the guitar is a little low for leads, but I boost that with a pedal anyway. If you're into that type of sound, then I can highly recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                              X