Can I get some help with ID please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get some help with ID please?

I just bought a extremely beat up Charvel for $50. It is a bolt on neck, it also has a contoured heel but the neck has screw holes for a regular heel as well. The pickups are HSS and its routed for a floyd rose but it is not routed for up bends. I think the neck is maple and has a rosewood fingerboard. It has a 5 way selector and one volume knob and one tone pot, both 500K. Its wired so its: Bridge humbucker, Full humbucker and middle single coil, Middle single coil, Middle single coil and neck single coil, Neck single coil. I think the body might and probably is not the original body. I suspect its a Jackson body. Also the logo on the headstock is the Charvel logo with a 6 on the side headstock in the logo. I'm trying to figure out if the body is original, and where the neck is from. I can't find the serial number. Its not on the headstock, and i cant find one on the body. Is it hidden anywhere like in the neck joint. That is literally all I know about the guitar. Any help is good help. Also I posted the only pictures I have. I could take more if need be.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/phot...12469_9583.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...12470_6831.jpg
    Gear:

Gibson SG (Stock)
    Ibanez RG7321 loaded with Seymour Duncan Invaders
    Charvel frankenstien guitar (not entirely sure what it is has a Charvel Logo)
    Line 6 Pod Xt Live
    Atomic Reactor 212 50 Watt
    Groove Tubes
    Dr Strings

i don't recall a charvel or jackson neck plate looking like that. pure mutt
    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Not a Charvel or Jackson body. Neck may be off of a Model Series Charvel, but a headstock shot would help a lot. Bolt-on C/J guitars will have the serial # on the neckplate, but even if it was a C/J import, the serial # wouldn't help with ID.

Comment

Had a feeling it is a mutt, sounds great with the seymour duncans in it and here is a pic of the headstock. sorry about it being in reverse, dunno found to fix it and I dont have photoshop

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...65594_4437.jpg
        Gear:

Gibson SG (Stock)
        Line 6 Pod Xt Live
        Groove Tubes
        Dr Strings

Comment

you got your money worth in the neck alone.
          ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

ya I definatly did, I play this guitar more than my Gibson SG and it sounds unbelievable with the Duncan Invader in the bridge and Hot Rails in the neck and middle. But any idea and what guitar the neck came from. I'd also like to know where the body came from, and the tuners are Jackson if that helps at all.
            Gear:

Gibson SG (Stock)
            Line 6 Pod Xt Live
            Groove Tubes
            Dr Strings

Comment

The neck came from a Charvel Model 3DR, circa 1988, made in Japan. This was the last of the original model series to come out before they switched to the toothpaste style Charvel logo, after which it became the Predator. Only this model and the 88 had reverse headstocks, and the 88 had sharkfin inlays. So this was an easy one to identify.

The body, however, I have no clue. You got your $$'s worth with the neck alone though.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Now you can afford those spelling lessons!

J/K

Cool mutt
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Kramer or ESP body?
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

its not a reverse headstock though. The picture was mirrored for some reason, didn't know how to fix it.
                    Gear:

Gibson SG (Stock)
                    Line 6 Pod Xt Live
                    Groove Tubes
                    Dr Strings

Comment

that neck could be off a number of different Model series Charvels then. Only sure way to tell what it's off is by removing it and looking at the neck heel. There should be a stamp indicating what Model it's off. You might find some clues to the make of the body in the neck pocket too.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Ok cool, Ill do that when I change the strings next. Thanks for the help!
                        Gear:

Gibson SG (Stock)
                        Line 6 Pod Xt Live
                        Groove Tubes
                        Dr Strings

Comment

Originally posted by Piro View Post
                          its not a reverse headstock though. The picture was mirrored for some reason, didn't know how to fix it.
                          Doh, then it ain't no 3DR. Likely it's a Model 2 as they were the most common ones with white dot fret markers on a rosewood board. But as VitG suggested, it should have a stamp with the appropriate # on the neck heel.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL View Post
                            you got your money worth in the neck alone.
                            +1
                            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                              Doh, then it ain't no 3DR. Likely it's a Model 2 as they were the most common ones with white dot fret markers on a rosewood board. But as VitG suggested, it should have a stamp with the appropriate # on the neck heel.
                              Actually it is either a Model 2 or a Model 3 neck.

But at this point, it's not really that important, is it? All of the model series necks were very solid and had a great feel to them. Bottom line: You have a great neck.

The body you have is suspect. It kinda looks like a Music-Yo Kramer or even a Yamaha, and if it were that, then you'd need to be careful about the neck you put on. Most of the newer Yo-Kramers had necks with 24 frets. Your best bet would be to snag a Model 3 or a Model 2 body from eBay and assemble from there. This way you're getting a body that you know that neck was built for.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                              X