Is the writing on the wall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the writing on the wall...

...for the return of the model series? Lets look at things: Schecter and BCRich are bringing into production/recreating some of their classic 80''s super Strats (Gunslinger, Assassin) and new, very 80's influenced models (Schecter). Then you see brands like Kramer which is gaining popularity for their Super Strat types, again models like those in a bygone era. Ibanez RGs (particularly the RG550 reissue) are selling like hot cakes. Is the time right to bring back the Model series? With it, Charvel could jump into the fray and compete with all these manufacturers, while appealing to a variety of price points and tastes easily. With this style of guitar making a come back it seems, the time appears to be great for them to jump in before the train leaves the station. What do you all think?

As much as I would love to see the Model series come back, you know FMIC won't do it.
    They're too busy raping the Charvel ideas from JCMI and slapping a Fender logo on it.
    Example would be the Shelby GT Strat or the Alvin and the Chipmunks guitar.
    Both are clearly more Charvel than Fender.
    While I know that the early Charvel models were essentially a hot rod version of a Fender Strat, it was Charvel (or Ed if you buy that load of shit) that made the style popular.
    -Rick

Comment

I don't think they'll bring the Model series back for a few reasons. First & foremost - outside of the members of this forum, how big do you think the demand is for pointy-headstock full-size strats with non-recessed trems? Not very, imo. If they change to dinky bodies & recessed trems to appeal to more people, then you're right there in import Jackson territory, so why bother? The neckthroughs are also already pretty well covered by the Jackson import line.

Another reason is quality vs. price point. The people who always seem to be screaming for the return of the Model Series are used to getting used ones in good shape for $200 - $400. Are they going to shell out the $$ for a new one built to the same standard as the old ones? These were not cheap guitars. Look up the price lists & run them through an inflation calculator. I did it back in '05 here, so add a little to these:

If they cut corners & lower the quality to get the price down, who will want them when there are still thousands of used ones out there?

I think we may see an import strathead. That's the rumor anyway. There's a chance that will have some success, but I still think there's a very limited market.

Comment

Working...
      X