Pickup help for Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup help for Model 4

I hate to burden you for a trivial issue such as this, but here is why Im asking..
    First, Ive changed ALOT of pickups, and I usually pick a good pup to enhance the particular guitar. However, Im having alot of trouble with my 88 model 4. In one of my 4's, I have a Seymour Duncan custom shop Crazy 8. Its a great pup. In the other model 4, I currently have a Duncan PATB3 Blues Saraceno trembucker. This is usually a fantastic pup in any trem equipped guitar Ive used it in before. Ive tried a RIo BBQ, (normallya favorite) Ive tried a Duncan Custom Custom and Distortion.. The Distortion was pretty good.

Im looking for something with good chunk, great lead tone and that behaves well with the mid boost.

What have you guys had luck with??
    Tone Zone?
    JB?

I appreciate your guidance!

I have a Duncan Custom in my Model 6, and it sounds good with the midboost. It doesn't seem to respond as much to the preamp as the original pickup (J50BC) did, but I like the tone better. It's quite a bit hotter, yet it has more clarity. It's my favorite pickup overall, and I have it in 4 of my guitars. The Tone Zone would probably be another good one to try in your Model 4. That pickup sounds really good in basswood guitars, imo. No idea how it will work with the boost, though.

Comment

The DiMarzio PAF pro works great with the mid boost.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        The DiMarzio PAF pro works great with the mid boost.
        Ill bet it would! However, Im thinking of something with more output.

Comment

I had a Pafpro in my 4 and it was hotter than normal with the midboost.
          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I was trying like hell for a long time to get a decent sound with the original circuitry. I finally ditched it in favor of a set of EMGs - 81/S/S. Out of this world sound from this thing - especially with the khaler.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I have a Charvel Fusion Deluxe with an EMG81/S, and an RR1 with a J90C and the midboost.

I like them both but the RR1 sounds more unique. Too many EMG81's out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                I had a Pafpro in my 4 and it was hotter than normal with the midboost.
                Maybe worth a try.. something different anyhow.. I have a hot pup in my other Model 4.

Comment

Working...
                X