No announcement yet.

Charvel imports 1986-1991

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supposedly more stable & less likely to twist or warp, as well. Most of the time, flatsawn necks will be clear-coated for protection. This comes into play with oiled birdseye necks, since birdseye figure only shows up in flatsawn wood. Some say the figuring itself can also play a factor, but I'm a little skeptical about that. Flame figure shows up in quartersawn wood, btw, so if you really want figuring in an oiled neck, flame may be your best bet.

-edit- Henrik, pretty sure the catalogs have you covered & say the necks are quartersawn on the Pros, iirc. So step away from the sandpaper...
    Last edited by dg; 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Henrik, I always appreciate your opinions and thoughts... let me just say thanks! I've learned much, and appreciate it... always very interesting.

So here's a question that might stimulate some conversation:

If the grain goes parallel with the fret board, would it be more likely to warp (given changes in humidity, or whatever) in such a way that the truss rod could compensate for it, whereas if the grain is more perpendicular to the fret board might it have less of a tendency to warp in that direction?
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        "It takes a special kind of geek to care about something like that. You're lucky I love you...":ROTF::ROTF:
        :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:th ought I'd add that
        Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Yes, I've heard some people talk about warp problems on heavily birdseye figured necks, but can't really confirm it either. Could it be that I even saw it mentioned on the Warmoth site...? hmmm... Nice info there, dg. Your comment about Soloists having flatsawn necks worries me. The USA Soloists?
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I'm going to bed. I'll be back
            Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
              Your comment about Soloists having flatsawn necks worries me. The USA Soloists?

I worded that post badly. I'm going to change it to say the Model Series neckthroughs differ from the USA Soloists since they had flatsawn necks and the USAs were quartersawn.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/80s-CHARVEL-JACK...QQcmdZViewItem

Check out the 5th pic of the back... you can see the center neck blank looks quarter sawn where the wings arent. Not 100% sure though.. Ive got a M6 Ill most likley be stripping, guess well find out then eh?
                Last edited by RobRR; 01-20-2008, 11:08 PM.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I'm looking at the heel of an 86 USA oiled neck and the grain runs horizontal on the neck and vertical on the rosewood board.The same for an 87 model 2 neck but it is clear coated.The only visible difference is the USA neck has a much thicker fretboard.
                  The model 2 neck has a swirl in the grain so part of it is somewhat vertical but the USA neck has a bit of swirl too.
                  So neither are what I would call flatsawn.
                  Last edited by straycat; 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Ok, here's something for us to look at. There's one stripped M6 from Rob's link and a M6 from my arhives:

Next one:

Henrik

Comment

That's definitely not a quatersawn neck. Compare the end-on view with this pic of H's quartersawn neck:

To me, it looks like the Model 6 neck was flatsawn from about the area I circled in red, compared to Henrik's, circled in blue.
                      Last edited by dg; 01-21-2008, 08:53 AM.

Comment

It doesn't look like it is qtrsawn to me. the lines should be alot more uniform and close together.
                        I looked at my charvel SD reissue, my bc rich gunslinger and the picture of my now gone charvel 2002 series traditional. (now I know I should have keep my 2 2002 series charvels because they are qtrsawn).All have qtrsawn necks.

Here is a picture of the traditional.

Notice the flamage. I did strip the finish and tungoil the neck. Hard to believe I only got 240 for the guitar 2 years ago and it sold a few months ago for almost 400.

In the 88 catalog it does show a fretboard diagram as qtrsawn but calls it conical.
                        http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=39&pos=0
                        I was going to strip the finish off the back of my model 2 now I probably won't

Comment

Working...
                        X