Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help identifying my old Charvel

Hi Guys,
    I think this is probably a model 4, I bought it about 16 years ago second hand. needs some work, frets are worn as is the trem.

The serial number is 253026 (Fort Worth Texas - Japanese) any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Anyonw know where I can buy a good neck for it? I have seen some licensed fender (pointy shape though) necks on ebay.

and is it easy to find a repament trem?

thought one of the musikraft charvel / strat necks would look nice or is that not the done thing on one of these guitars?

here are some pics

Thanks guys

Looks like an early 1987 Model 4.
    As for a replacement neck, go for broke and put a Musikraft strat head on it.
    Great guitars.
    -Rick

Comment

Mine looks similar, as I wanted to ask help in id'ng it. I bought this one used in 1990, it has a Kahler tremolo. It's pretty banged up, and the electrics are fubar'd, but after finding this site, I may try to resurect it.

Comment

Oh, I do know it's MIJ, as it has the Fort worth plate, but thats all I know. Sorry tinribs, didn't mean to hijack ur thread....

Comment

[quote=rjohnstone;1052837]Looks like an early 1987 Model 4.quote]

+1

Originally posted by chopped58 View Post
          Mine looks similar, as I wanted to ask help in id'ng it. I bought this one used in 1990, it has a Kahler tremolo. It's pretty banged up, and the electrics are fubar'd, but after finding this site, I may try to resurect it.

1986 Model 4
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Thanks, appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by chopped58 View Post
              Thanks, appreciate it!
              You're welcome. The Kahler is what makes your Model a 1986. Now, put some EMG's in that fucker.
              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Looks like an early 1987 Model 4.
                As for a replacement neck, go for broke and put a Musikraft strat head on it.
                Great guitars.
                thanks rick.
                now need to make up my mind on what shape neck to go for. Only ever played my charvel and jackson ps4.
                My old man just bought a telecaster and i love the neck on that, think its a C section rather than the D on the jackson / charvel, dont know what the radius is. Need to make up my mine as to what to put on the charvel. descisions descisions. So much to choose from on the musikraft site.

Comment

Those PS-4 necks are some of the thinnest made by Jackson. Make sure when you do get a new neck that the heel width is 2 1/4".

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                    Those PS-4 necks are some of the thinnest made by Jackson. Make sure when you do get a new neck that the heel width is 2 1/4".
                    Cool thanks mate, that was going to be my next question! you are good.

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
                      You're welcome. The Kahler is what makes your Model a 1986. Now, put some EMG's in that fucker.
                      It's in the shop now, funny you should say that about the emg's, thats exactly what I was thinking. Have to see if the funds allow it

Comment

I thought the model 4's had the shark tooth inlays on the bolt on neck, not dots.
                        Would that be the correct neck on it if it were an`87 ?

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
                          I thought the model 4's had the shark tooth inlays on the bolt on neck, not dots.
                          Would that be the correct neck on it if it were an`87 ?
                          Yes and no.
                          There was a brief period between the switch from Kahler trems to the JT-6 where the Model 4 had dots and a JT-6 trem.
                          -Rick

Comment

I don't know if it was a mutt, but I had a kahlered model 4 with sharkies that I was told was an 87. I think it even had the kahler nut and not the one that comes with the jt6 trem.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Musikraft neck on a Model series guitar. Correct neck heel width and all. Cool thing is you won't get lynched either.

More information about necks can be found here. Just scroll down to the information you're looking for. ---> http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679

You'll find a lot of good things said about Musikraft and USA Custom necks on this site. Specs I had mine made to posted below first picture. The Fender four bolt pattern was the same for my Model 2 neckplate. I had to drill them a little as the Fender bolts were smaller diameter than the Charvel ones, but that was easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X