Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 650 Custom vs. Jackson Professional

Hello everybody !
    I'm pretty new to the JCF, but I share the affinity to Jackson/Charvel guitars !
    I've been looking for "my" guitar in the Jackson Professional area for some time now; it should have a real thin neck, JT-590 bridge and a strat body; Pickup configuration H-H or H-S-S !
    Recently I saw a (high priced) Charvel 650 Custom (desert crackle) on eBay and I would like to know your opinion(s) of that model in comparison to a Jackson Professional PRO model !
    I'll appreciate any input !
    Franx
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Well you wont find a "strat" body in the pro series. The strat-esque bodies are all dinkys.
    The 650 is basically the same guitar as the Model 6. Neck through, rosewood board, active mid boost, etc. It is a nice guitar. But if its too high priced dont bother. even though desert crackle is cool. The model series was great craftsmanship and really soildy built guitars. Some would say they are equal in quality to the Jackson Pro series. But all model series have rosewood boards. wear as the "Pro" series had ebony. if ya gotta have it go for it.
    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
      Well you wont find a "strat" body in the pro series.
      Gil
      Well, maybe I should have said, I'm not looking for a Kelly/V - style body !
      The most important part is the neck; does a 650 neck compare to a Model 2 neck ? Or is it thicker ?
      According to the price: If somebody is willing to pay 800 USD for a 650, it's worth that money - but I don't think you guys in the US would pay that much, would you ?

Comment

400-600 is what we would pay in the US . At the high end it should be really mint.

Comment

In my neck of the woods, I've seen 650's go for over 1K...US$.

Comment

Yesterday the 650 auction ended without a bid (EUR 555 starting price - EUR 666 to buy) - now I see, he's put it up again, starting with EUR 444 ! And obviously someone is willing !
            Take a look:

Comment

The only thing I don't like are the JT-6 but as far as the guitars go the Pro and the Charvels were probably made side by side in the same factory.

Comment

The 650 has the same trem (JT-590), electronics, etc. as a Soloist Pro from the same period. The Model 6 had the JT-6. The Soloist Pro had the MOP logo, ebony fretboard & definitely had a quartersawn neck just like the USA Soloists. The 650 had decal logo, rosewood board, and most likely had flatsawn rather than quartersawn neck. The few import Charvel neckthroughs that I've seen with the paint stripped definitely had flatsawn necks. Not necessarily a big deal since they are great, stable necks, but it is a difference worth pointing out, imo.
                Last edited by dg; 02-11-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franx View Post
                  Yesterday the 650 auction ended without a bid (EUR 555 starting price - EUR 666 to buy) - now I see, he's put it up again, starting with EUR 444 ! And obviously someone is willing !
                  Take a look:
                  http://cgi.ebay.de/Top-1989-Charvel-...QQcmdZViewItem
                  Man, I'm really tempted to place a bid on that one!
                  Sweet guitar...Not a huge fan of the finish though.

Comment

sweet looking guitar.. too bad the description is in German.. lol If ya can aford it at that price go for it. They are very nice guitars. I had a Charvel fusion in that finish and loved it.
                    The neck on the 650 should be similar to that of a model 6 since the 650 replaced the 6 when the logo changed.
                    Gil

Comment

Scroll down and you will find english description.
                      Got mine for 350eur a year ago.
                      Great guitar if you change stock pickups and remove boost

Comment

So it went for 506 EUR (~ 730 $) ! In the end the paint did prevent me from bidding ! Congrats to whoever made it ! Jonasaberg: Did you ?

Comment

Working...
                        X