Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87/'88 Charvel Model 4 SCORE!! :) + setup questions

Hey guys

Yep, I don't have many posts on this forum, but I'm not a Charvel noob by a long shot. You may recall my last thread where I was stuck in the dilemma of an '86 Model 4 or a '91 Predator. I ended up getting neither.

Recently, however, I scored a black import (MIJ) 1987/1988 Charvel Model 4 on eBay in MINT condition. I mean it's ridiculously mint, no belt rash, no scratches, no dings or dongs, nothing. Just a bit dusty I got it with the original case for 400 Euros. Not bad for a 20 year old guitar. I also can't get over the original mother of pearly sharkfin inlays, quite beautiful

It's most probably a 1988 Model 4 - note the (R) next to the logo on the headstock, same with the number plate, and the serial number definitely puts it into an early 1988 demographic. Also, the neck has a scarf joint (not sure if this is relevant but every detail counts).

Here are some pics

The guitar has some setup related problems, however. As you can see in the pics, the neck is off at an angle, the bridge is set stupidly high, the fine tuners on the JT-590 trem won't budge, the volume pot makes a stupidly loud cracking noise whenever it's touched... How can I fix each issue?
    Last edited by varador; 02-17-2008, 07:24 PM.

Also, I don't find the default pickups to be anything to write home about, but this may just be because I'm using some really old strings Is it possible to replace the bridge and neck pickups without replacing the electronics circuit? I'm quite a fan of the mid-boost to be honest

Also, I'd like to replace the locking nut, machine heads, floyd rose, and humbucker pickup ring with gold plated Schaller parts... Is this possible? Does Schaller make hardware to the correct specifications so they could retrofit the original parts on this Model 4? I was browsing around on their website, they seem pretty flexible... http://schaller-electronic.com/hp762...1829bbf697XY1e

Comment

-neck angle & trem height: judging from the pics, it looks like someone may have added a shim to increase the neck angle. These guitars were routed at the factory with a little bit of angle in the neck pocket for a non-recessed floyd, and normally don't require a shim. My guess is that someone may have added the shim so that the floyd could be raised higher off the body to allow for more pullup range. Take the neck off, remove the shim, then you should be able to lower the trem to a more normal height.

- volume pot: Very common problem on these midboost systems. The volume pot is attached to the circuit board. You may try cleaning it with some electrical contact cleaner, but most likely the pot is starting to go or is about shot. You may be able to replace it. It is a 50K audio taper mini pot. The most common thing people do in this situation, especially if they are planning on putting in new pickups, is to just remove the midboost and put in new pots. If you decide to replace the existing pot & keep the midboost, it will work with any passive pickups. My experience has been pretty good doing it this way, but I've noticed that the boost effect is more subtle with the new pickups (Duncan Custom & Hot Rails in my case).

-tuners: Schallers with the 45° screw tab will fit fine.

-trem: a Schaller trem will fit the post spacing, but to be 100% sure that the intonation range is right, I'd personally go with an Original Floyd. You'll probably be fine with the Schaller, but in some instances there can be problems. More info on the potential issues here:

-locknut: these guitars can be fitted with a Floyd or Schaller locknut, but a small wedge-shaped shelf has to be made for the nut to fit the tiltback headstock. Most people just continue to use the behind-the-nut lock. If you want all matching gold hardware and don't want to have the nut shelf done, you can get a gold Kahler behind-the-nut lock.

-pickup ring: these guitars have an oversize pickup ring. The only place to get a replacement ring that will fit the screw holes is from Dave (Budman68 here on the JCF):

He does them in polished brass, which matches up pretty well with gold hardware, and he can make them to fit whatever original or replacement pickup you go with.
      Last edited by dg; 02-17-2008, 08:50 PM.

Comment

The trem you have is a JT-6 and just spray a little lube from the back side let it penetrate and they will break free no problem.If it was mine I'd clean the JT-6 and put it back on they are great trems.
        The pot situation contact cleaner will fix that popping when you max out the vol control, also use a fresh battery.When the battery gets weak you will notice a fizzy tone.
        Nice guitar just needs a good cleaning and set up.
        As far as putting a reg floyd nut I wouldn't bother the after the nut locks work great.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
        X