Model guitar pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model guitar pricing

So the other day I'm in a local guitar store and I spot a couple of old Charvels. They looked a little beat, so I didn't really even look at them. Since then, I thought it might be nice to pick one or both of them up for nostalgia's sake - I had two Models 2's back in the late 80's - so I went back up to take a closer look. I did some research on the site (fantastic info here, btw!) and determined they had a Model 2 and a Model 5. This is where it gets weird.

The Model 2 was complete, but needed a fair share of TLC. Strings, fret level and polish, volume knob kinda worked, bridge was literally more than 1/8" out of parallel to the body, missing trem cover, etc. Paint was fair, overall maybe a 6 out of 10 as it sat. Had the OHSC, but looked like it was dragged behind a bus. At least all the latches were there.. Asking price - $349. Final "make me a deal on both" price? $349 - it was already marked down from $449....

The Model 5 (87)had a Wilkinson pup installed at the bridge, volume knob and second tone knob were gone (literally removed, holes in the body), as was the selector switch. The stock hum was still at the neck, but apparently not hooked to anything. Paint was ok on the front and neck, but it had the worst case of buckle rash I have ever seen - almost the whole back of the guitar, and no trem cover. Neck played good; definately a good place to start for a project guitar. Non-original HSC, nothing special. Overall, I'd say 5 out of 10. Price was marked at $399, my special discounted price was $309....

So if you're still reading, is it just me or are those prices just a wee bit high? After dragging the cases out and going to "get me a really good price", the sales guy says that's the best he can do and lets me walk right out of the store. I was a bit surprised and a bit bummed. I might have gone $500-$550 for the both of them, but not $700. After looking around on ebay and reading threads here, I think I made the right call but a second opinion never hurts. Biggest problem is now I'm REALLY jonesing for a old Charvel!
    Greg

'86 Model 1
    '87 Model 2
    '88 Model 3A
    '88 Model 3DR
    '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

He's probably been watching e-bay, and focusing on the ones that sold for top dollar.
    Clean one's are still around, but they are getting harder to find... the ones you describe don't sound all that clean.
    Did you attempt the power move on him? (slow cash count on the counter, then take 20 back so you can by gas on the way home.... one of my favorite moves... hehe)
    Sometimes, these guys don't make a move until they see the money... the rest is just yakkitty-yak in their mind.
    It's one way to get their attention anyhow.
    I would go there with 520, and pull the move on him.
    I bet he's got 100-150 into the M2, and 150 or so into the tired M5.
    He'll jump at making 200 cash I just bet.
    If not, hell, it didn't cost you anything, and you can keep an eye out for a cleaner one (or two).
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

I'd say take your time & wait for something that's not beat up. The final Model 2 price was high even for a minty one. The 5 may not have been too bad a deal at $309, as long as the frets were still in good shape & it was structurally sound. Too high for me, but I just don't have the patience to deal with project guitars when there are still good deals to be had on axes that are 100% ready to go.

Comment

dg speaks wisdom (again)
        teach you, he will

(no, he's not green and 2 ft. tall)
        hehe
        --floydkramer

Comment

Way too high. I say fuggem, and let him keep his precious guitars.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Thanks for confirming guys. I even told him that the price on the M2 was what near mint ones sell for on ebay and this one needed plenty of work; he just shrugged and said "sorry, that's the best I can do". Maybe I'll go back in a week or so and try the 'power move'.
            Greg

'86 Model 1
            '87 Model 2
            '88 Model 3A
            '88 Model 3DR
            '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

hehe
              it's called letting the seller/buyer properly "marinate"
              works wonders
              keep us posted
              --floydkramer

Comment

Those prices are way too high. I got a Model 2 off of eBay for $305 and was in just about mint condition. Everything original and the paint was almost perfect (small chip by top strap button.) That was also with the case that was in great shape but had just one clasp missing. For the condition you are describing there should be a 2 as the first digit of the price. I even got a Charvel Model 375 dlx from a GC that was originally marked as $299. By the time I bought it it was marked down to $139. Again, aside from a few scratches, was in excellent condition.

I'd wait the guy out, maybe when he sees that they don't sell, he'll start listening to some reasonable offers.
                Guitars:
                Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                1988 Model 2,
                Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                RR3
                Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                2005 SG Special

Comment

I picked up this Model 1C off Ebay a few weeks ago. This guitar is very clean! Paid $299 plus shipping...$343 altogether....but she's in near mint condition...even had a Seymour Duncan pup in the bridge already! And it came with the case and tremolo arm! (just not pictured) Those guitars you describe aren't worth it! Pardon the socks and underwear but here are some pics:

Last edited by organelle67; 03-06-2008, 02:22 AM.
                  Guitars: Burny Les Paul Custom, Epi Les Paul Custom, Charvel Model 1C, Alvarez Classical
                  Amps: Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 100 Watt, Laney LC-30II, Fender Frontman 25 watt
                  Cab: Laney GS412P 4x12

Comment

Dude run the vac please that carpet is crying!
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

$349 for a semi beat up Model 2? I payed 100 bucks more for a dead mint Model 6 with a EMG 81 in the bridge. That guy is on serious drugs.
                      My gear
                      87 Charvel Model 6
                      86 Charvel Model 4
                      93 Jackson RR EX
                      93 Jackson Kelly STD
                      88 Ibanez RG560
                      99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                      Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Yeah I have seen better deals on less beat up guitars in pawn shops that I mock on for selling crap at ridiculous prices here in Florida. Heck before Ebay I never had a problem with GAS as most of the used gear in music shops and pawn shops were total POS category guitars.

Love that white/creme Model 1c there!

Comment

Organelle, love the M1 - big fan of the maple board.
                          Greg

'86 Model 1
                          '87 Model 2
                          '88 Model 3A
                          '88 Model 3DR
                          '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                            Dude run the vac please that carpet is crying!
                            I know!! Been doing some remodeling in the house!!
                            Guitars: Burny Les Paul Custom, Epi Les Paul Custom, Charvel Model 1C, Alvarez Classical

Comment

Originally posted by 992gnt View Post
                              Organelle, love the M1 - big fan of the maple board.
                              Thanks Greg. It took me a few months before I was able to snag that one off ebay, either somebody would outbid me on other Models, or they were too high, etc.

But finally got this one. Just stay patient and keep watching ebay, and you'll get one....at a decent price!

Comment

Working...
                              X