Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some kind of Model 5? Please help.

Hey guys,

I've contacted a guy selling a Charvel Model 5, is this one legit?

How does the neck-through neck on this thing compare to the bolt-on on my recently acquired Model 4? I was never too fond of finished necks... But I've read that the construction quality + the neck-through on this guitar puts it in the same league as a Jackson Soloist, is this true?

Also, I've contacted someone else selling a 1987 Ibanez 540S, what can you tell me about the latter (compared to Charvel Model series?)

Thanks

Yep

Yep..its legite. I personally love the molten lava finish (fire crackle I believe?). The trem looks aftermarket...can't quite make out the writing...might be a real Floyd Rose.

Super smooth players...feels substantial and solid (in a good way). If I recall correctly maple neck-thru w/poplar wings. Neck feels like a SL2H neck...a tiny bit thicker than your model 4 neck.

I'd take the Model 5 all day over the Ibbie...

Comment

I think that's a modded '88 Model 5A with an added neck humbucker. Originally a 1-hum. A normal 2-hum Model 5 will have a special 5-way switch and 3 pots (vol, tone, and midboost).

The neck on a Model 5 or 6 shouldn't feel a lot different than the clearcoated Model 4 neck in terms of the finish on it. The Charvel neckthroughs are great guitars. I have a Model 6 & love it. Same league as a USA Soloist? I personally don't think so, but that takes nothing away from the fact that they are great guitars, and probably one of the best bang-for-the-buck values out there.

As for the 540S, I'm going to risk being called a blasphemer here and say that I think they hang right there with Model Series axes. It will boil down to how you get along with the neck shape, imo. Somtimes I miss my old 550, and will probably get another one some day.

Comment

I've seen that guitar on ebay some weeks ago; described as "Model 5X" (a model, I've never heard of before); finish: Magma Crackle; S/N: C8xxxxxx (1988) and he was asking for EUR 500 as starting bid ($ 775 !), which stopped me, anyway !
        I cannot see much details on that pics (bad colors for people like me), but I'm pretty sure about that white switch not being stock ??? (Doesn't match the finish at all)
        Edit: "dg" was faster - modded
        Last edited by Franx; 03-11-2008, 10:15 AM.
        uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Model 5 = 2 Hum
          Model 5A = 1 Hum
          Model 5FX = 1 Hum and 1 slanted single coil in the neck position.
          -Rick

Comment

That is nice. I want a firecrackle Model 5 or 6.

Comment

Originally posted by varador View Post
              How does the neck-through neck on this thing compare to the bolt-on on my recently acquired Model 4? I was never too fond of finished necks... But I've read that the construction quality + the neck-through on this guitar puts it in the same league as a Jackson Soloist, is this true?
              I recently bought a Model 5 fx with fire crackle paint job, neck through. The previous owner had upgraded to a Floyd Rose Original and had upgraded the pickups to a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge position and a Seymour Duncan neck pickup. I can't compare it to a Model 4 bolt-on or a soloist, but I can compare it to a Jackson DK2 and a Jackson Fusion. The Model 5 fx has a thicker neck than the typical "modern day" Jackson neck. The neck feels good to me nonetheless. It feels fast and the neck through does provide a lot more sustain than my Jackson bolt-ons. The neck has a similar feel to a Neal Schon-branded guitar I have that was made by Jackson around the same vintage. Of course the frets are a lot different with the The Model 5 fx having jumbos.

On the topic of sound, neck-through guitars always seemed to have good sustain to me, but didn't have the fuller bodied sound that my bolt-ons had. The Model 5 fx sounds pretty darn good. Maybe it's the Evolution pickup that I'm hearing, but the sound and sustain are awesome.

It does have a non-recessed Floyd, which is a bit odd to me. It works just fine, but it's a little strange to have the big gap between the bottom of the bridge and the top of the body. The "fx" has a route under the bridge, but it's really not necessary since there's plenty of room to pull up on the floyd without hitting the top of the body they way it's set up.

The Model 5 series are basically 20 year old guitars at this point. Given this, I'm surprised how well the fire crackle paint job has held up. It seems a much higher quality finish that the early 90s Fusion I have. Thicker and shinier.

If the price is right and the guitar looks to be in good condition, I'd say go for it. I'm really happy with mine and it's my favorite over my DK2 and Fusion.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

I believe dg has it. If it was a modded 5FX, it would have at least a volume knob & blade selector (some also had tone knobs). But this thing only having a toggle added would suggest it started life as a 5A.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  If it was a modded 5FX, it would have at least a volume knob & blade selector (some also had tone knobs).
                  Did some 5FXs have a blade selector? I've only seen them with the toggle switch.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think you're right, Joe. After checking the pics again and comparing it to 5FXes in the gallery, I think it could've been either a 5A or a 5FX to start with. The knob & toggle positions on this one look pretty close to what varador has:

Last edited by dg; 03-11-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Did some 5FXs have a blade selector? I've only seen them with the toggle switch.
                      of course, you are right, Joe. I'm an idiot and was thinking of the 550XL
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                      X