No announcement yet.

750XL Pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have an emg 81 in the bridge and an 89 in the neck in one 750xl and stock pickups another. The 81 is fine, but the switch to the 89 is a significant drop in volume and punch.. I'm looking for an alternative and appreciate this thread.

i like the stock pickups. I was thinking jb/jazz, but I've heard so many good things about the duncan distortion. The distortion/distortion seems like a winner!

is the distortion in the neck still smooth/creamy like the stock neck pickup?

thanks

Comment

I have an SL2H as well. Longer scale length, different construction, and a trem are some of the main differences between this and my 750XL. With the JB/59? set, the SL2H is more about growl and grit.

The 750XL is more about crunch. I never heard the stock neck pickup, but the Seymourizer neck is smooth and creamy. I like using it for those classic Metallica leads (Master of Puppets).

I'm not sure what's up with your EMG89, but it doesn't sound like it's wired correctly. Is it wired for single coil mode only? An 89 has a humbucker mode like an EMG85 and a single coil mode like an EMG-SA. Sounds like you are getting the EMG-SA sound only. You should have a push/pull to switch between modes.

Comment

Hmm, might have to try the dual distortions myself. I already have a bridge DDJ.

Not sure if it is just me, or my 750, but every damn pickup seems way too bright. Might examine the pots. Right now I was fooling with it playing it for about 40 mins, ended up putting the buckers way back into teh body. Usually my buckers ride high, almost touching the strings.

Unless I am doing something wrong?!
        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          I have an SL2H as well. Longer scale length, different construction, and a trem are some of the main differences between this and my 750XL. With the JB/59? set, the SL2H is more about growl and grit.

The 750XL is more about crunch. I never heard the stock neck pickup, but the Seymourizer neck is smooth and creamy. I like using it for those classic Metallica leads (Master of Puppets).

I'm not sure what's up with your EMG89, but it doesn't sound like it's wired correctly. Is it wired for single coil mode only? An 89 has a humbucker mode like an EMG85 and a single coil mode like an EMG-SA. Sounds like you are getting the EMG-SA sound only. You should have a push/pull to switch between modes.
          i'm thinking it's not wired correctly. it definitely doesn't have the pull/push option.

don, have you been in cincinnati for a while? if so, i may ask you (via pm) about a couple ppl who still may hang out at the gc

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
            Hmm, might have to try the dual distortions myself. I already have a bridge DDJ.

Not sure if it is just me, or my 750, but every damn pickup seems way too bright. Might examine the pots. Right now I was fooling with it playing it for about 40 mins, ended up putting the buckers way back into teh body. Usually my buckers ride high, almost touching the strings.

Unless I am doing something wrong?!
            You could also try a 250kOhm volume pot, and see if that mellows if out a little.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              85 in the bridge and 81 or 60 in the neck.
              +1

Comment

Originally posted by gitfiddler View Post
                i'm thinking it's not wired correctly. it definitely doesn't have the pull/push option.

don, have you been in cincinnati for a while? if so, i may ask you (via pm) about a couple ppl who still may hang out at the gc
                First arrived here in May 1996.

Haven't been to the local GC for maybe more than a year?

pm away....

Comment

I agree with Don P mahogony needs the DD set a very good choice.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wanthehairspray if your pickups are too close to the strings you lose a lot of sustain and natural harmonics of the pickups, try lowering them down some and adj each to the same vol level and then adj each pole piece to where the plucked note "blooms" and holds the note for a while I'll bet you'll like the results.
                    Just try it and lets us know.
                    Do the adjustments on the clean channel BTW
                    Last edited by straycat; 03-18-2008, 11:50 PM.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

mine the bridge pickup is a reflex classic series(active). sounds very hot with clear definition on high volume(crank up) . better than my friend's mahogany rg fitted with duncan distortion! you guys better check out active reflex pickups.theyre discontinued now.

Comment

I´m afraid to replace the originals in mine

Another good choice for mahagony type guitars are
                        Seymour Duncan Antiquitys.
                        I got a pair in my Gibson LP standard.Sounding amazing.
                        Perfect choice for Blues, Classic Rock and Hardrock.
                        Guitars: Jackson KE-1, JRS-1, SL-1 / Charvel 750XL / Gibson Les Paul Standard

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                          Wanthehairspray if your pickups are too close to the strings you lose a lot of sustain and natural harmonics of the pickups, try lowering them down some and adj each to the same vol level and then adj each pole piece to where the plucked note "blooms" and holds the note for a while I'll bet you'll like the results.
                          Just try it and lets us know.
                          Do the adjustments on the clean channel BTW

Thanks Straycat, I tried this tonite, and it really opens it up. I still get "sizzle" (brightness) but I reckon that is just down to the guitar, as the catelogue for the 750XL sez it is made to be bright. I'll be adjusting the polepices on all my others now (never really thought to do it before!!) Thanks again!
                          http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I have a custom custom in the bridge of my 750xl. And the stock J50N in the neck. With a super switch. Sounds great and has full clear tone. Without gettin muddy or too dark. Perfect combo at least for mine. Other pieces of wood may sound differant. But sounds perfect in mine.
                            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                              I have a custom custom in the bridge of my 750xl. And the stock J50N in the neck. With a super switch. Sounds great and has full clear tone. Without gettin muddy or too dark. Perfect combo at least for mine. Other pieces of wood may sound differant. But sounds perfect in mine.
                              Gil
                              mmm,what is the custom custom btw?

Comment

Originally posted by masxwave View Post
                                mmm,what is the custom custom btw?
                                I've wondered that myself.
                                I think it's the custom custom custom, minus 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X