Bridge pickup in model 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup in model 4?

I have 2 model 4s. I was tempted to do the full 80s thing and put in a Duncan JB, but I have one in my Kramer Pacer so I opted for something diff. In one, I have a Duncan Crazy 8, in the other, a Duncan PATB3. The crazy 8 has a great lead tone and sounds great recorded. The PATB3 sounds great too, with more of a fat, thick tone. I have another axe that would benefit from the PATB3, and Id like both the 4s to have thier own identity (one is Batman and one is Robin) so Im looking for ideas of what pup to use in it. What pickups do you all use and how do you like them? I had a Duncan Distortion in it for awhile and liked it.. Thanks!!

I'm a huge fan of the Duncan Custom. I've never tried one in a basswood guitar, though. Even though I'm not a big DiMarzio guy, I will say that the Tone Zone & the Evolution both sound really good in basswood.

Comment

I have been loving the Dimarzio super 3 lately.

Comment

DiMarzio super D is the tits in a model series/basswood body
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Got tired of fighting with the generic active pickups that came in mine (used), so I have a Duncan Designed HB103B (think "Duncan Distortion") on the way, as well as some passive single coils, for the middle and neck positions. Thinking about dropping in something like an EMG Afterburner, too, but won't be certain until after I try it with the new pickups.
          For some reason, I prefer ceramic pickups.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Kent Armstrong WPU-11. It's their JB copy with a Ceramic magnet. Very J90C-ish.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Im not a big Dimarzio fan either... I do like the Tone Zone, Super D and I like the Fast Tracks I have in my Kramer Focus 6000.

Stray Cat, Yeah, I forget about the Super D.. Although Ive never used one in anything but a les paul...

Racerx2k,
              Yeah, I thought the stockers were bland too. Ive replaced both bridge pups and will prob replace the necks eventually. I just dont use the neck and mid pups on these guitars..

DG,
              Yeah, Im a big fan of the Duncan Custom and I mod them to match my needs for the guitar its in. I have a Custom in my Explorer, C5 in a RG570, strat and SG, Custom 8 in my Kramer Focus 6000. (man, what a great pickup for leads!!!)
              Ive used a CC before like it. I wasjust thinking something diff for this axe. I was thinking of going 80s and doing a JB, but I have a JB in my Kramer Pacer, Esp LTD, Schecter and Washburn Steve Salas.
              I want to try the new Duncan SH15 Alternative 8, but was gonna put that in the 86 Carvin DC125 Im waiting to be shipped. I have a Tone zone, but will prob put that in my Dean V.
              I dunno, I just want the two 4s to have thier own voice and cant spend alot as Ive got myself spent out..

Comment

Find a vintage super D they are a lot different from the new ones.Very full and tons of bottom end.I have several early 70's super D's and I won't part with them.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Racerx2k,
                  Yeah, I thought the stockers were bland too. Ive replaced both bridge pups and will prob replace the necks eventually. I just dont use the neck and mid pups on these guitars..
                  Just to clarify, these were not the original pickups, but a generic, active set, that a previous owner had installed. I actually like the single coils, but, for some reason, the bridge position, no matter what pickup I put in, continues to have a nasty, almost 60hz-ish, hum. the original active that came in it did it, the brand-new generic active that I bought did it, and the used EMG that I dropped in did it. The ground wire to the trem base is good, and all other wiring seems to check out, fine, so I've finally gotten pissed enough to say "screw it" and am stripping it down and installing an all-passive system, starting with the HB103B.
                  God, I hope THIS fixes things...
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Anyone ever try a Tone Zone in a model 4? I wonder if it would sound good or be too dark..??
                    I have a Crazy 8 in one and it RIPS! I have a PATB3 in the other and that one sounds strange.. I normally love that pickup but it sounds odd in this guitar.
                    Last edited by BloodRose; 03-29-2008, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Anyone ever try a Tone Zone in a model 4?
                      I don't have one in a model 4 but I have one in a dx1 which is still basswood. I do like the sound a lot, I wish it was hotter though.

Comment

I second the suggestion of the DiMarzio Super Dist. I have a few of them and they all sound great. I used one in my Model 2 for quite awhile and loved the sound. The only reason it's not in there anymore is because I put in an EMG 81.
                        Guitars:
                        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                        1988 Model 2,
                        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                        RR3
                        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                        2005 SG Special

Comment

I have a new Duncan Alternative 8 model coming for the model 4. The Crazy 8 is gonna stay , but the PATB3 is too compressed and dark. Good for rhythym work but not so much leads. If this doesnt work, Ill try a Custom 8.. Thats a Duncan Custom with the ceramic mag swapped for an Alnico 8 mag. I have one of these in a Kramer and its an amazing lead pup..

Comment

well, got the Alternative 8 and its awesome!!! Has a big present sound and makes the guitar sing! So, one of my 4s has a Duncan Crazy 8 and the other is the new Alternative 8 and they are keepers!

Comment

Working...
                            X