Stringing 5fx Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringing 5fx Charvel

I have stringed my guitar the same way since 1988. I always wondered why when I lock my 3 nut locks, my B ahd high E (3rd lock)would always go out of tune and I would have to spin the Floyd tuners to get it in tune.

I just noticed for the first time that the high E string is touching the metal part that holds the nut locks.
    Have I been stringing my guitar wrong for 20 years?

Any pics would be awesome of your headstocks and the string route or advice.

Thanks

I have a 5fx too and have the same issue. It's related to the frankenstein neck bolt-looking "behind the nut" string lock. The angle at which the string comes off the back of the string lock towards the tuning peg is the problem. Because the string lock sits behind the nut down on the face of the headstock, the angle that the string comes off does not bend back enough so the string is actually lifted a little off of the back of the string lock prior to tightening it. When you tighten the string lock, the strings get pushed down onto the string lock and go sharp. Hence the fine tuning to fix it. On this model guitar the problem seems to be isolated to the High E and B strings.

A workaround is to tighten the string lock on the high strings just to where you can still tune using the main tuning peg. Then, it doesn't go as sharp when you tighten it the rest of the way.

Photo of the 5fx and it's "feature":

Photo of "normal" Jackson string angle off of lock nut:

Photo of a Strat with a string retainer that gets around this problem:

Dave

Comment

This is very common to J/C guitars with the JT-6 behind-the-nut string lock. The angle of the B string especially can cause problems because it can end up catching in the threads of the string lock screw. If you ever take a look at the string lock plates, you'll notice the groove or mark from the B string cuts diagonally right by the screw hole. Sometimes I get a loud "ping" when I lock down my Model 6, and the B usually goes sharp when I lock it. I've just learned to tune it a few cents flat before locking, then fine tune it. For whatever reason, I don't have any problems with the high E.

Comment

Ok, cool. I'll try the tuning while almost locked workaround.
        I also get a ping when I tighten down the lock. I always just thought something was wrong with my lock.

Do the strings get wound clockwise or counter-clockwise around posts?
        That could affect the angle coming out of the locks...

Comment

Originally posted by aeromonte View Post
          Do the strings get wound clockwise or counter-clockwise around posts?
          That could affect the angle coming out of the locks...
          I've always wind my strings around clockwise.
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X