Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: Mod 5 + 6 trems

Hi, long time browser first time poster here
    Ive decided ive wanted to buy a Charvel mod5 or mod6 which as left some questions about the different trems these guitars came with. From what I understand and read there is basically two types a the kahler and floyds? Can anyone fill me in here on the difference between them, is one better then the other or does it just end up comming down to person preference?
    Thnx for the help in advanced, Jace

The first year came with Kahlers. Then the remaiing years came with the JT6 trem.
    The JT6 trem is a love em hate em relationship. I for one like the. owever if yo dont like the JT6 you can simply swap it for a floyd Rose or Schaller trem. They both retrofit the posts and no mods are needed.
    Gil

Comment

I too like the JT-6 trem but it does have a different tone effect than a schaller or floyd
      The schaller and OFR have much better metal and are better overall but the JT-6 can hold its own.
      Kahlers I love em' very easy to work on and smooth operation.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

thnx for the replies guys,
        Another question to add the list are arms for khaler trems hard to find and how expensive are they?

Comment

They are hard to find.P.M.budman68 he may have some.I have a few but I ain't sellin'
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Try http://www.wammiworld.com/ ! Price: ~ $ 30 !

And post some pics, as soon as you've scored !
            Welcome !
            uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

thnx alot for that link Franx just gotta get it down to aus before I post some picks

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                They are hard to find.P.M.budman68 he may have some.I have a few but I ain't sellin'

Not too hard.. just a lil pricey..

http://www.kahlerparts.com/Part_Pages/8530.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jace89 View Post
                  thnx for the replies guys,
                  Another question to add the list are arms for khaler trems hard to find and how expensive are they?
                  Not hard at all. Any standard, non-import strat bar will fit the Kahler. That's what I'm using on my Model 4, and I like it better than the bar that came with it, cause it's bent slightly different.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

No they don't.

Comment

Um, yes they do. I'm using one on my Kahler, right now. Has to be the standard thread (10-32), vintage thread, not the import, 6mm threaded ones.
                      Last edited by Racerx2k; 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM. Reason: typo correct
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Well for some reason the ones I've got are sloppy and only the real Kahler arm threads in properly

Comment

Don't know why, but they are of the same thread, see?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tremolo-Arm-to-f...QQcmdZViewItem
                          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                            Well for some reason the ones I've got are sloppy and only the real Kahler arm threads in properly
                            Actually I've had over 20 of the Kahler 2300 series through the years (among other models) and they're inconsisatent as hell. The nylon friction function comes in very handy to make up for the sloppy threaded trem sockets if they're not worn out or abused.

As for the argument, all 10-32 threads are not the same as even though they may be 10-32 threads, hey can be sloppy or tight depending on the manufacturer and how they turned/formed the thread.
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

As someone who does fabricating as part of my job, I agree. Not all threads are created equal, but that's moreso from a machining standpoint, and not so much if it's the "right" thread or not.
                              Over 20, huh? Man, your wife must be a saint! hehe. Ain't G.A.S. a bitch?
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X