Neck options for my Model 2 (pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck options for my Model 2 (pic)

Ok, I bought this Model 2 about 1 1/2 years ago. It's a sweet sounding guitar...has the Screamin' Demon pup. I just came really close to selling it but started having second thoughts almost immediately. I figured the two biggest reasons I don't like it is the crusty bridge and the contour and shape of the neck. I actually prefer Ibanez necks so this has taken a back seat lately to my RG's. I WANT to play this but always get frustrated with the feel of the neck mostly due to the width and C-shape profile. I'd like to actually change it up a bit by finding a replacement neck that has a strat head but with the flatter profile and radius. What are my options? I've heard Musikraft makes good stuff but I'd like to hear from people who've actually swapped out. Any pics of similar projects?

Oh yeah, I want to put a real Floyd on it too.

Last edited by Axe Chemist; 04-04-2008, 09:40 PM.
    E = Fb

Nice color. Is that a neck off of a Model 1? If im not mistaken the S head Charvel necks are a narrower radius then the pointies. Altho thats an import which is a differant neck all together. I dont have any experiance with the musickraft necks but i hear they are nice.
    What ya gonna do with the neck thats on it?
    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
      Nice color. Is that a neck off of a Model 1? If im not mistaken the S head Charvel necks are a narrower radius then the pointies. Altho thats an import which is a differant neck all together. I dont have any experiance with the musickraft necks but i hear they are nice.
      What ya gonna do with the neck thats on it?
      Gil
      Actually I think it came off a Model 4M since it had the correct locking nuts already installed. Model 1 necks had no locking nuts, right? So, I think it's a Model 4 neck. I will definitely end up selling it to offset the cost of the new one. I would have no other use for it at that point.

I also noticed that you can order a replacement neck from Warmoth and have it customized with a "Wizard" contour so I might go that route instead. The only bummer is not being able to get it in the strat head shape and it would be a plain black pointy headstock with no logo.
      E = Fb

Comment

Axe. Yeah i forgot about the 4M. I dont know why. I guess old age. lol

Comment

www.musikraft.com choose charvel neck and select the slim or medium D profile for a more ibanez type shape
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Chemist View Post
            Actually I think it came off a Model 4M since it had the correct locking nuts already installed. Model 1 necks had no locking nuts, right? So, I think it's a Model 4 neck. I will definitely end up selling it to offset the cost of the new one. I would have no other use for it at that point.

I also noticed that you can order a replacement neck from Warmoth and have it customized with a "Wizard" contour so I might go that route instead. The only bummer is not being able to get it in the strat head shape and it would be a plain black pointy headstock with no logo.
            Dude, PM me when you want to sell that neck.
            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

have you checked out mojobodies yet.

Comment

Musikraft neck on my Model 2 refin mutt with OFR.

I like my stock Model 2 also.

I'll also post the specs of the Musikraft neck I put on mine. Musikraft's website is very user friendly, and I'm very satisfied with my Musikraft neck. Dollar for dollar they were the best hands down when I did my shopping.

Had to go with truss rod adjust at heel because of the Floyd shelf though.

FYI, the pre-drilled Fender neck plate bolt pattern was the same as the Charvel neck plate. My neck bolts were a larger diameter than the pre-drilled holes, so I had to make them a little larger diameter with the drill. That wasn't hard at all since I had pilot holes.

Comment

Razor...AWESOME looking axe brother! I love it!

Actually I just found a guy locally that deals with Mighty Mite products. He's a dealer of some sort and the factory is nearby in Northbrook (duh, I never noticed). Anyhoo, I'm stopping by his shop this afternoon to look at what he's got. He basically takes the Mighty Mite necks and performs a leveling, crown, and dressing for only $107 with tax! I'm cautiously skeptical but very hopeful that this will work. I spoke to him on the phone in great length before I ordered the neck to make sure he knew what I wanted and what I had to work with. I'll post a report later today. This guy could be the best kept secret around!

BTW, it's the Mighty Mite 2902FCR neck.
                  E = Fb

Comment

Thanks for the compliment on the axe!

Is the $107 include the cost of the neck?

Also, the Mighty Mite necks have a 2 & 3/16's neck heel width, so you'll have small gaps on each side of the neck pocket.

Good luck in your neck search, there are several very good companies out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                      Thanks for the compliment on the axe!

Is the $107 include the cost of the neck?

Also, the Mighty Mite necks have a 2 & 3/16's neck heel width, so you'll have small gaps on each side of the neck pocket.
                      Well I just got home from looking at the neck, and you are right. The Mighty Mite didn't fit because of the heel size. I'm bummed, the price would have been $107 for everything! Neck, leveled, crowned, and dressed!

Since the new neck didn't fit he offered to do the same thing (leveling, crown) my existing neck for $30. Is that a good deal? I don't know because that's the first time I've had it done but it really sounded good. I could tell a difference between a "before and after" neck that he showed me. So, until I can find something else this will have to do.

If anyone wants his info I'd be happy to pass it along. He's local here in Mundelein, IL.
                      E = Fb

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Chemist View Post
                        Well I just got home from looking at the neck, and you are right. The Mighty Mite didn't fit because of the heel size. I'm bummed, the price would have been $107 for everything! Neck, leveled, crowned, and dressed!

Since the new neck didn't fit he offered to do the same thing (leveling, crown) my existing neck for $30. Is that a good deal? I don't know because that's the first time I've had it done but it really sounded good. I could tell a difference between a "before and after" neck that he showed me. So, until I can find something else this will have to do.

If anyone wants his info I'd be happy to pass it along. He's local here in Mundelein, IL.
                        Sounds like a good deal to me. Of course anythings a good deal compared to where I live because there is absolutely nothing close to here in southern West Virginia.

Comment

Oh those are nice Model 2s!!! Let me know if you ever what to part with one. I am liking them so much I think I will build one.
                          750XL Cherry Sunburst
                          375DX Metallic black
                          Model 2 blue
                          Model 2 Red
                          USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
                          USA Slime Green San Dimas
                          MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
                          Gibson Les Pauls
                          PRS SC-250

Comment

Working...
                          X