No announcement yet.

New Model 2 is safe at home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to look into getting the larger oversized jack plates from Fretsonthenet. The larger one he sells will cover the entire area that was damaged. My hesitation with returning it is I really don't see many Model 2s around anymore that don't have worse damage. They are drying up, mine is a 1987 serial #.

A few more pics.

no flash

Last edited by titan7; 04-24-2008, 01:11 AM.
    750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

Comment

Not worth mentioning, that damage. Or otherwise, you have to mention it, or nobody will notice. It's a great looking M2, do'nt forget it's 20 years old. The oversized jackplate seems like a good idea.

Comment

If you can't see it unless the jack plate is off, then it's not worth the effort. Plus, there's probably a good chance the seller honestly didn't notice it either. IMHO, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Pricewise I think $305 is a very reasonable price especially considering the great condition it is in. The indention at the jack does not detract from it's value.

Hell, I paid $225 shipped for a beater Model 2 for my Jolly Roger project and I thought that was a great deal.

Comment

Agreed, I have let the issue go. Thanks for the advice.
          Last edited by titan7; 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM.
          750XL Cherry Sunburst
          375DX Metallic black
          Model 2 blue
          Model 2 Red
          Gibson Les Pauls
          PRS SC-250

Comment

FYI, a Model 2 is advertised on a Dutch site for 600 euro, about 925 dollar...
            It is way overpriced, but the going price over here is around 300 euro.

Comment

gorgeous!

that one is about perfect bro, except for the bit of buckle rash (visible in your pic of the back) and the jack issue.

damn clean for that age of guitar.

people are always blown away by how clean my red one is. I take very good care of my gear.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Thanks Skorb,
                I will be able to get 95% of the buckle rash out with color sanding and polishing it did not go very far into the clear coat and at certain angles you can't see it. I ordered a custom oversized jack plate from Frets on the Net so the damage around the plate will be covered. I was able to score an original silver charvel case for it from a JCF member, it's in pretty good shape. I love the model 2!! Actually I find myself playing these more than anything else. Got any photos of your red one?
                750XL Cherry Sunburst
                375DX Metallic black
                Model 2 blue
                Model 2 Red
                Gibson Les Pauls
                PRS SC-250

Comment

Originally posted by titan7 View Post
                  Well, I picked it up today. Overall it's in pretty good shape for a 20+ year old guitar that has somehow lost it's HSC. Man I never understand what people do with these original HSC, I still have mine for my 90 375 DX? Oh well, back to the model #2. Reason I wanted one is I purchased a new model 3 in the electric blue back in mid 1988, $375 out the door with the HSC, I kept it for 11 months and sold it to get a Fender HM Strat because it said Fender. Oh what a horrible mistake that was. I found a used model 2 in black with loaded with an EMG and went with that for about a year since I could not find any new Charvels. Well 1990 rolls along and I picked up a new metallic black 375dx with case for $450 out the door, still have it today : )

Well I always wanted a model series again, but I did not want a #3 because my 375 has a SSH config, Two weeks ago I picked up a 1989 Charvel 750XL locally so now I had the holy grail Charvel, Still looking for a electric blue # 2, saw some on-line but not in the condition I wanted. Well one came up on the "bay" and the seller lives 15 miles from me.

So here she is:

Sorry the pics are a little dark.

There are no dents, the headstock point is perfect, the top near perfect, there are some very light picking marks, and few hairline scratches on the surface of the clear that you can only see in the right light and at the correct angle. There is some very light buckle scuffs, in the clear only, no wood damage or color damage, I may have these color sanded an buffed out, you can only see them with the right lighting conditions, the size of a silver dollar, just above the trem cover.

The strings looked 20 years old!! The bridge is in great shape, the frets wear in minimal, but they could use to be polished. I just need to get a trem arm for the JT-6 trem and find a case. What are people doing with the original cases??? I will post better photos later.

All for the $305. It plays awesome as expected!

This will not fit in my Model 375 case? The body is too big. Oh the HSC saga continues.
                  May I ask you a question?
                  I'm about to buy a guitar and I 'm between a Model2 (Japan Tx forth worth plates) and a 375 deluxe (Japan Charvel by jackson).

I ve heard that the model 2 has better pickups and parts specially if is a (tx forth worth plate japan guitar)

What would you recommend ?

Thanks

PD: I wish I had yous collection !
                  sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Diego,
                    To be honest with you, they are both just awesome, I would pick them both up, and sell the one you don't like to me! ; )

I think I like having the single pickup as it's just such a classic 80s "superstrat" look. The necks are about the same, perfection. I like having both logos. you will love either one. I started with a Model #3 in 1989, sold it like a dumb a$$ (college expenses), bought a used #2, sold it to get a fender, hated it, then picked up the 375DX new on Sept 29th 1990, had it eversince. Just picked up a 750XL and two model 2s. There is just some bad ass mojo with these old Charvels, I have a few Gibsons, PRS, and US Jacksons, but guess what's sitting out on the stands getting played...
                    750XL Cherry Sunburst
                    375DX Metallic black
                    Model 2 blue
                    Model 2 Red
                    Gibson Les Pauls
                    PRS SC-250

Comment

Awesome guitar!! Congrats! Also, awesome price! Even with the new found issue.. It isnt visable and doesnt affect playing..I think it was VERY cool that the seller was willing to compromise on that. Shows integrity. If he bought it second hand, he may not have even known..

Rock on with that amazing axe!!

Comment

Working...
                      X