Model A question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model A question

Just picked up via ebay a 2002 Japanese Model A: Mahogany dinky body, quartersawn maple neck, ebony fingerboard w/ jumbo frets.

All the company literature I can find on this axe states it is 25.5" scale, but I've found a couple websites where it is stated to be a 24.75" scale.

Can someone confirm the scale length?

I'm gonna ditch the Duncan Metal Livewires for some passives. Any suggestions? I play everything from Zep and AC/DC to VH, Dokken, Great White, Maiden, Priest, Dio, and some Vai/Satch instrumental stuff.

They are standard scale (25.5).
    -Rick

Comment

Can you point out the websites that have info on this guitar? It's good to kinda know where NOT to look for info.
      Occupy JCF

Comment

Posters on both the Seymour Duncan forum and Harmony Central state that the axe is Gibson-scale.

Anyone have any suggestions for pickups?

Comment

Harmony Central, I can see giving out bad info, but Seymour Duncan?? Hmm.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Its

Its a 24.75' (Gibson) scale. I had one...and actually measured it to make sure. The strings have that same "loose feel" that Gibson's usually have. To compensate...I just went up a size...i.e. 10's if you usually play 9's...

Comment

According to the press release, the entire line was 25.5 scale, not 24.75.

January 17, 2002 Charvel Guitars (AMIC) announced five new models today. Each new Charvel uses Seymour Duncan pickups, 1/8" quilt maple bent tops and have the original Charvel neck shape.
              "We used the original neck jigs to make these necks feel as good as the originals. The necks feel like they're 20 years old, " according to Kevin Easton, Marketing Director of Jackson/Charvel Guitar Company. "We set out to improve on the original Charvels with some of today's technology and advancements. The new Charvels use Seymour Duncan Live Wire pickups, Li'l Screamin Demons, Pearly Gates, SH14 and JB's. Some use alder bodies, others have mahogany and the Limited Edition Model A Plus K has a beautiful koa top."
              The list price/MSRP of the new Charvel Guitars are: $799.00 to $1745.00

Charvel Guitar Features
              • Construction: Bolt-on
              • Scale 25.5"
              • Body: Alder (Journeyman, Standard,Traditional), Mahogany(Model A, Model A Plus, Model a Plus K)
              • Neck: Quartersawn maple (Journeyman, Standard, Traditional, Model A), Birdseye Maple (Model A Plus, Model A Plus K)
              • Fingerboard: Rosewood (Journeyman, Standard, Traditional), Ebony (Model A, Model A Plus, Model a Plus K)
              • Inlays: Mother of Pearl dots
              • Hardware Color: Black
              • Bridge: Vintage Style Tremolo (Journeyman, Standard) JT580LP double locking tremolo (Traditional,Model A, Model A Plus, Model a Plus K)
              • Frets: 24 jumbo (Journeyman, Standard, Model A, Model A Plus, Model A Plus K), 22 Jumbo (Traditional)
              • Pickups: Seymour Duncan
              Available colors: Black, Cobalt Blue, Electric Blue, Faded Cherry Sunburst, Faded Tobacco Sunburst, Natural, Transparent Blue, Rising Sun graphic.
              -Rick

Comment

For passives, the Duncan Custom is well regarded around here, the JB is loved and loathed. The new P-rails model seems like a cool option with lots of sonic ground covered.

If you want to stay active but have a more organic sound I would recommend the SD Blackouts. They roll off nicely without losing tone and have tons of output for when you want high gain mayhem.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                  According to the press release, the entire line was 25.5 scale, not 24.75.

January 17, 2002 Charvel Guitars (AMIC) announced five new models today. Each new Charvel uses Seymour Duncan pickups, 1/8" quilt maple bent tops and have the original Charvel neck shape.
                  "We used the original neck jigs to make these necks feel as good as the originals. The necks feel like they're 20 years old, " according to Kevin Easton, Marketing Director of Jackson/Charvel Guitar Company. "We set out to improve on the original Charvels with some of today's technology and advancements. The new Charvels use Seymour Duncan Live Wire pickups, Li'l Screamin Demons, Pearly Gates, SH14 and JB's. Some use alder bodies, others have mahogany and the Limited Edition Model A Plus K has a beautiful koa top."
                  The list price/MSRP of the new Charvel Guitars are: $799.00 to $1745.00

Charvel Guitar Features
                  • Construction: Bolt-on
                  • Scale 25.5"
                  • Body: Alder (Journeyman, Standard,Traditional), Mahogany(Model A, Model A Plus, Model a Plus K)
                  • Neck: Quartersawn maple (Journeyman, Standard, Traditional, Model A), Birdseye Maple (Model A Plus, Model A Plus K)
                  • Fingerboard: Rosewood (Journeyman, Standard, Traditional), Ebony (Model A, Model A Plus, Model a Plus K)
                  • Inlays: Mother of Pearl dots
                  • Hardware Color: Black
                  • Bridge: Vintage Style Tremolo (Journeyman, Standard) JT580LP double locking tremolo (Traditional,Model A, Model A Plus, Model a Plus K)
                  • Frets: 24 jumbo (Journeyman, Standard, Model A, Model A Plus, Model A Plus K), 22 Jumbo (Traditional)
                  • Pickups: Seymour Duncan
                  Available colors: Black, Cobalt Blue, Electric Blue, Faded Cherry Sunburst, Faded Tobacco Sunburst, Natural, Transparent Blue, Rising Sun graphic.
                  What he said!

Honestly that's one of the reasons I wasn't too crazy about 'em. I loved the fact that they were bringing the Charvel line out of mothball, but to make them more or less Jacksons with the PC headstock, seemed kinda chincy to me.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

I had a model A and a traditional. pretty sure both were 25.5". I should have never sold the model A. Awesome player. Those live wires suck and I needed to pay some bills.
                    Everyone always talks about the 90's professional pros but these are right up there too. Ebony, quilt tops and oiled qtrsawn necks

Comment

Well, my Journeyman's a 25.5 for sure

I both love & loathe the JB pickup. With high gain it's great, but I played mine at a cover band gig last month and after we played the couple of Van Halen numbers I picked it up for I didn't bother swapping back before we played some softer stuf fthat needs a clean or light crunch sound. I was standing there wondering where the horrible guitar tone was coming from, then I recalled that I was the sole guitar player
                      Model 3
                      Model 5A
                      Model 3B
                      Journeyman
                      Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

I measured my Model A and from the nut to the middle of the 12th fret, it's exactly 12.75" . Which would make it a 25.5" scale guitar.

Dropped a pair of zebra GFS Crunchy PATs (ceramic) in her and now I get awesome 80's metal tones.

Comment

I'm a happy camper I just got another one. Dropped in a evolution in the bridge and a air norton in the neck. My favorite player right now.
                          I have heard good things about GFS, I myself if I go cheap I have been getting the dragonfire pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                            I'm a happy camper I just got another one. Dropped in a evolution in the bridge and a air norton in the neck. My favorite player right now.
                            I have heard good things about GFS, I myself if I go cheap I have been getting the dragonfire pickups.
                            I have two guitars equipped with the GFS Crunchy PATs. This pickup sounds like a
                            Super Distortion with a little more bass, and better string-to-string clarity. They also sound great when split to single-coil mode.

Another cheapo pickup that I'd like to try are the Tonerider Rocksongs.

Comment

I have to agree with Rich#6, we both have owned the model A and the traditional. They were the "Pro Series" made in Japan. The Body on the model A was actually larger than the Traditional Body. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think the Traditional has a "dinky body" Anyway...My SL2H and the Model A were bigger than the traditional. I would have kept it but I bought a SL2H and it never got picked up again.

Comment

Working...
                              X