ID Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID Help Needed!

Hi Guys...would really appreciated some help. I've seen a beautiful Charvel for sale in my local guitar store. The owner says it's a model 5 and is offering it up for £250. It plays beautifully but I wanted your help on:
    A) Is it a model 5
    B) Is it worth what he wants for it?

The guitar is white, has two humbuckers (poled not covered) and Floyd Rose (the bar is missing) and the serial number 260062 on the neck plate. The headstock logo is the non-spaghetti writing and it has a rosewood board and 22 frets. The neck is bolt on, it has three tone pots and a 5 way selector switch.

Any info on this would be really appreciated - I don't want to walk into a con!!

J
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 06-06-2008, 06:15 AM.

Model 5 would be 24 Frets neck through, not bolt-on !
    Your description doesn't sound like a Model 5 ! Three tone-pots ? Check my site, or audiozone.dk - maybe you can spot the model !?!

Model 5:
    Last edited by Franx; 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Thank Franx...what's your site addy?

Comment

Just click site
        uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Sounds from the description like a Model 3A, except the 3A had only two knobs (one volume and one tone).

Comment

I have to agree on a modded 3A. Definitely not stock and not a Model 5.
            My gear
            87 Charvel Model 6
            86 Charvel Model 4
            93 Jackson RR EX
            93 Jackson Kelly STD
            88 Ibanez RG560
            99 Schecter Diamond C-7
            Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Fantastic! My bad - it has only 2 tone knobs so looks like it's a 3A. Next question guys - is this reasonable value and are they any good or should i save my pennies and go for something else? The owner says it's 1987 - does this sound about right?

Comment

Since it has a Floyd-type trem, then yes, it's either an 87 or an 88. As far as the price, I have to leave that to my Euro members here. But from what I've read on these boards, that's a decent price if it's in good condition.
                My gear
                87 Charvel Model 6
                86 Charvel Model 4
                93 Jackson RR EX
                93 Jackson Kelly STD
                88 Ibanez RG560
                99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

I'd have to agree. It's not a steal, but if it's in good condition, it should definitely be worth it. The weak point of the model series is the licensed Floyd, which may be worn out after many years of playing - but the guitar is good enough to warrant replacing the bridge when it won't stay in tune any longer.

Comment

IMO the model 3A's are great guitars. It was the first Charvel for me many years ago.

Comment

!'ve got a model 3, 3A and a model 6, and the model 3A is my favorite. I would buy another one if I could find a decent one.

Comment

If you don't like the JT-6 trem send it to me.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help guys - I'm gonna go and make him an offer!

Comment

Working...
                          X