Good bridges for model 1s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good bridges for model 1s?

What would a good vintage style tremolo be..? Cheapest possible hehe I'm a student. I do NOT use the trem, but I need to replace it anyway. It'd be screwed down as far as it can on the body.

Thanks for any advise, I don't know much about vintage trems

You could try one from GFS:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/tremelos.html
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

These look interesting...

http://www.super-vee.com/
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

These won't work and are way expensive . Model 1s have different nuts than Strats in general.

Edit: Ah crap... the current trem has a 53mm screw spacing... most modern trems have 56mm
        Last edited by pott; 06-10-2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Fender has them, but I'm not exactly sure if they're 53mm.

http://www.fender.com/products//sear...tno=0992049000
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You might want to check out the Gotohs on Stew-Mac. The model 1 tremolos are Gotoh, so they might have the same spacing.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Whats wrong with the Gotoh thats on it?They are a great V trem.
              As far as screwing it down if you turn the 6 screws all the way down the trem will tilt forward due to the front bevel of the base plate.The best way to get a solid contact to the body just tighten the spring claw closer to the body or use 4 springs that will pull the back side of the trem base plate down on to the body.
              Last edited by straycat; 06-11-2008, 01:01 AM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Whats wrong with the Gotoh thats on it?They are a great V trem.
                As far as screwing it down if you turn the 6 screws all the way down the trem will tilt forward due to the front bevel of the base plate.The best way to get a solid contact to the body just tighten the spring claw closer to the body or use 4 springs that will pull the back side of the trem base plate down on to the body.
                I use 5 springs and tightened them all the way down. The screws are lowered until they just make contact with the baseplate, not more.

I'm replacing it since it's the last thing that could be causing my guitar to go out of tune so badly: trem block in particular. Everything else has been replaced and taken care of or repaired already.

EDIT: just measured again...the screw spacing seems more like 5.25cms... So I'm guessing it's an inches value. Imports would make it in millimeters right?
                Last edited by pott; 06-11-2008, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Right.The Vtrem Charvel and Jackson guitars if you use the trem will go out of tune no doubt due to the string angle of the pointy headstock.Strat heads are fine due to the straight string pull.
                  The nut is where your problem may be if the nut is cut straight. If you cut at an angle corresponding to the line from the nut to the tuner they work ok.
                  99% of Vtrem tuning problems are in the nut not the trem.The strings may be binding in the nut slots.Smooth the nut slots I'll bet it wil be fine.
                  If you use 5 springs there is no need to block the trem.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Again... it's not the nut :P I did it myself and it's just fine. Graphtech too, wanted to try how it sounds. I always do my own nut and never had issues. I also replaced the tuners and the problem persists. My Strat has saddles (also graphtech) as high an angle as this Charvel and she doesn't go out of tune, so it's not that either. The only thing left that I haven't changed or replaced is the tremolo. It's just the last factor.

I do NOT use the trem. On none of my guitars for that matter. I use 5 springs and screw the springclaw as far back as I can. The trem arm isn't even on it.

I did do the nut with the sloits angled towards their tuners.

Comment

Working...
                    X