Made in India???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in India???

I'm interested in any info you fine folks might have about Charvel guitars being manufactured in India. Yesterday was the first I heard of it and I was informed that my Charvel, not sure what model it is, was "Made in India?"

Thanks a bunch!!! };^>
    Scars are tattoo's with better stories! };^>

Charvel
    Charvette
    Gibson Les Paul Studio VM (Worn Cherry)
    Yamaha RXG-420 DZ
    Fender Strat (Pink Paisley)
    Fender Squier Mini
    Fender DG-5 (Acoustic)
    Walden Natura D640TCP Cutaway (Acoustic/Electric)
    Seagull S12 (Acoustic)
    El Dégas (Acoustic)
    Maestro Classical (Acoustic)
    Behringer V-Amp2 Multi Effects Unit
    Peavey Bandit 65 Amp
    Line 6 Spider Jam Amp

The guitars made in Japan have the 12th fret dots closer together than the India made ones.
    Judging from the picture you posted (the 12th fret dosts are distant one to each other, close to the border of the fretboard) it seems an India made guitars
    sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

PS: I 'm not sure if it is India or Korea or some other place; but it is not Japan and thats what it is important.
      sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Thanks for the input Diego! Yeah, that's what I was told yesterday as well, about the dots being wider apart making it not "Made in Japan, " but I have never heard of a Charvel manufacturing plant in India . I was wondering if you could fill me in on a bit of the history as the Charvel web site mentions nothing about India, only Japan?

Thanks Again! };^>
        Scars are tattoo's with better stories! };^>

Charvel
        Charvette
        Gibson Les Paul Studio VM (Worn Cherry)
        Yamaha RXG-420 DZ
        Fender Strat (Pink Paisley)
        Fender Squier Mini
        Fender DG-5 (Acoustic)
        Walden Natura D640TCP Cutaway (Acoustic/Electric)
        Seagull S12 (Acoustic)
        El Dégas (Acoustic)
        Maestro Classical (Acoustic)
        Behringer V-Amp2 Multi Effects Unit
        Peavey Bandit 65 Amp
        Line 6 Spider Jam Amp

Comment

I never heard of Charvels being made in India either, only the entry-level Jacksons. Hopefully one of the more knowledgable members of the forum can shed some light on this.
          Scott

Comment

I don't know those details. I know that some Charvettes (by Charvel) are made in Japan and some are not. So it wouldn't come as such a surprise if they made also some other models elsewhere.
            Other than that I don't know much more about it.

Note: It is true that Japanese made guitars are probably better build and worth more; but every once in a while you find a really well built Korean, India, or somewhere else guitar.
            Try it out and decide by yourself.
            sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Are you all sure that's not a Charvel Traditional?
              My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Traditionals have normal dot spacing. Here's one:

I'm pretty sure the wide dot Charvels were made in Korea.

Comment

Yeah. Charvels were made in India at one point. I was at my local Guitar Center a couple of years ago and they had some on display- some were painted with Bullseyes and a couple of others had zig-zag paint jobs on them.

I'll say THIS about them, though- the build quality was simply atrocious. Frets sticking out of the fretboard, sharper-than-sharp fret ends, warped-beyond-warped necks, fuzzy fretboard edges (usually a sign of unsanded wood), and piss-poor set-up and that was all in one guitar. The worst was what had to be the six-inch thick paint jobs on the bodies- they felt more like bowling balls than guitars.

Needless to say, the folks at GC had them on extreme discount. LOL

There are some Indian Jackson guitars out there, too. In fact, I know of a Pawn Shop in Simi Valley, CA that has one. It's been sitting there for what HAS to be years now. LOL

Comment

I guess I meant the standard ... that's the one with 24 frets and a v-trem (methinks). But if it's got normal dot spacing, then I guess that's not it.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      Note: It is true that Japanese made guitars are probably better build and worth more; but every once in a while you find a really well built Korean, India, or somewhere else guitar.
                      Try it out and decide by yourself.
                      I wound up picking up a used Jackson JS model that was made in India. It was in great shape except that the previous owner dropped it and there was a chunk of wood missing from under 2 upper frets. Long story short.....I got it for $29 and using dark wood filler, fixed the neck to the point that you have to really look hard to see it. I put in a set of Duncans (Dist/Jazz) I had lying around and it plays fantastic. Much better than I ever expected. Conclusion: not all Indian guitars are the pits, some are pretty decent.
                      Guitars:
                      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                      1988 Model 2,
                      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                      RR3
                      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

The worst was what had to be the six-inch thick paint jobs on the bodies- they felt more like bowling balls than guitars.
                        That's so that cheap wood doesn't fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                          Traditionals have normal dot spacing. Here's one:

I'm pretty sure the wide dot Charvels were made in Korea.
                          I love these guitars!

Comment

Working...
                          X