New to owning a Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to owning a Charvel

Hello all. Just bought my first Charvel. Was told it is a 86 Model 3a. I got it from a guy that had 2 of them and his kid only liked the yellow one. I'm only going to replace the pots, switch, nut, pickguard, and back plate. The frets were a little worn, but it would cost $275 to replace and I only paid $170 for the guitar.

Here are some pics of it. I would have had a better pic, but I already started taking it apart.

I'll post more pics once my new plastics have come in and I get it reassembled. I am considering replacing the nut with a LSR roller nut from Fender...anyone see an issue with using one?

With the locking Kahler, a roller nut becomes redundant.
    Tune it, lock it, and you're done.
    You're likely going to have more issues with the other end (Bridge).
    That particular Kahler can be "ok", but they well never be stellar, since the ball end can still shift/move on you during big EVH style dive-bomb activities.
    If you can be mellow on the trem, they are fine.
    Nice guitar!
    Welcome to the disease!!!
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
      With the locking Kahler, a roller nut becomes redundant.
      Tune it, lock it, and you're done.
      What Spike said.

Although I'm working on my first behind-the-nut guit-fiddle. I just assumed there would be no issues if the nut is cut right. All my other stuff is OFR. If you're hellbent on changing the nut, I'd try brass or something that will transfer string vibration into the neck/body.

Thanks for sharing your project. Make sure you re-post when you're done...with pics!

Comment

It will be beautiful..Hope you love it as much as I love everyone I've had!!!....
        I just bought the twin to that one yesterday..missed the auction on E-bay...but just had to track it down, and got it!!..can't wait for delivery!!!
        Cheers.....enjoy.
        sigpic

Comment

Congrats man great guitar at a great price !!
          sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Originally posted by TheChaos View Post
            Hello all. Just bought my first Charvel. Was told it is a 86 Model 3a. I got it from a guy that had 2 of them and his kid only liked the yellow one. I'm only going to replace the pots, switch, nut, pickguard, and back plate. The frets were a little worn, but it would cost $275 to replace and I only paid $170 for the guitar.
            If the guitar is in that bad of shape, I would dump it now before getting in too deep.

If you are serious about keeping it, look for a Kahler 2700 series "Killer" bridge. It is fully locking, and very adjustable. It is made out of a hardened steel, and has a lot of mass for great tone. Go to KahlerUSA's website and order some new trem posts along with it and you'll be set.

Comment

I'd like to see some more pictures of the frets. Maybe you could get away with only replacing a couple and doing a level/crown on the rest depending on how bad it is. It would probably be more cost effective though to replace the neck rather than do a total refret at that price if that is indeed what it needs

Comment

Working...
              X