Help with JT-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with JT-6

Having problems with individual string action on the old JT-6 on my M5- If you are looking at the trem at eye-level, the fine tuners (and saddles) are nowhere near any type of horizontal alignment - which I understand is a by product somewhat of correct intonation - however, the high E is so much lower than the other 5 saddles and tuners as to "fret out" this string way before any other comes close to a desireable action. I had this problem with an original FR I changed out on the Jackson, but the luthier fixed it for me. I just don't want to pay 60$ for something I can fix on my own. Any suggestions?

- also - the really thin sheet metal "prongs" underneath the tuners/ saddles is aligned cockeyed with them....

Thanks.

Aside from the fact, that I can't really imagine, how it could be made to NOT have the saddles in horizontal alignment ... here's the JT-6 manual:

Maybe this helps you.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Yeah, I saved those scans to HD but no help...thanks for the input, though.

Comment

You will have to shim the high E saddle to address the problem. You could probably cut a few thin metal shims (from soda cans or similar) and put under the saddle to raise it up.

Comment

If it's like the other JT's, there are 3 different saddle heights,stamped 0,1,2 on the bottom of the saddles...I haven't bought a used trem yet where they have been in the right order...Once you get them right...the bridge posts should do the rest.
          Last edited by satyr; 06-26-2008, 11:17 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Unless I'm misremembering things, the JT-6 had the same height saddles all over, and the three different heights built into the baseplate, like plateaus(?).

But yeah - do check so the saddles are the same height. One saddle may have been broken and replaced with a non-original saddle by a previous owner.

But I still think that a simple shim could be a quick fix for the bridge.

Comment

Sunbane is right, the height comes from the base being stepped. you can try this website to see if they have them...
              http://www.fretsonthenet.com/USAJack...available_now_!

Comment

Working...
              X