A final review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A final review

Well a few people posted that I should display my project guitar when it was completely finished. And it has been!

Thought I'd review a few things:

Paintjob:
    - Was my first. took me a year. And is pretty accurate I think if you compare it to Steve's original Charvel shown in the top left. Had to be a little bit different though as I believe his would have been a san dimas body whereas mine is a model 2..

Bridge:

- Very smooth in operation. Not like a whammy at all! But I like it.
    - Filled FR route and routed for kahler.
    - see in the next picture; I think I screwed it down about 2mm too far to the right.
    - Apart from that this is an outstanding bridge (Kahler 7300), stays perfectly in tune no matter how hard I abuse it and is very versatile in how it has so many customizable and adjustable parts. It was a joy to intonate and I really can't understand the negative aura around Kahler Pros - I think it's fantastic. Also I counter-adjusted the bridge's 'slight' horizontal misplacement by moving all the parts of the bridge slightly to the left and it doesn't affect the playability at all so that's good.

Pickup:

- EMG 81
    - Creates screaming harmonics and the chords go on and on and on.
    - Gives me just the 1980's sound that I'm after, but having said that; I've never tried the factory jackson pickups. Many people swear by these and claim they have a fantastic 80's sound, but unfortunately I wouldn't know.
    - Also my soldering skills are lacking a bit as I haven't had any practice since high school about 2 years ago (when I was really good at it!). The solder job is solid and tidy but some of the joints went dull. I seem to remember that this means that the connection was overheated and may stop conducting over time. But there's no change in sound quality and after I tested the connections with a metre there were no problems - So I'll wait and see.....

Here's a recommendation to all jcfers who DON'T know: For hard to find parts such as the oversized pickup ring shown here, go to Dave at fretsonthenet.com. He also supplied me with the cavity control cover and battery box which is really handy!

Here are a few more pics.

What do you guys think of the EMG 81 and/or kahler? It'd be interesting to hear some experienced opinions on them
    cheers

Looks pretty good! The bridge is off by 2mm though? That's a huge amount to be off.

Comment

I was worried it would be. I'm gonna dowel and redrill the screw holes for the pickup and bridge (and shift it over about 2mm) next time I restring. I just hate it when something isn't quite right

Comment

Looks good!!! Aren't you kinda young to be into that 80's stuff...?
        Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

very nice job, if you can remedy that bridge situation.
          otherwise it looks great.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

you look abit disappointed in the last pic . you should be like this
            anyway good job looks killer
            "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

Those look like the sneakers that Reese wears in Terminator.
              Scott

Comment

All in all, an outstanding effort!
                Congrats.
                You should be proud as hell!
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

You did a real pro looking job on that. Super A1 work.
                  http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    Those look like the sneakers that Reese wears in Terminator.
                    same idea but the movie had navy blue ones in canvas.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                    X