Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first 475 today...WOW

I snagged a fantastic 475 on eBay.
    It's my first, but definitely not my last!

It's in great shape...a couple of dings...no biggie. By the serial number I estimate it to be made in '89. The color I'd call Salmon. No pickups, but I got it with a C/J case for $200 shipping included! It has the really good Schaller Floyd. Do I need a special size mounting ring for the humbucker and do I need special size screws for the ring? Also, Can y'all recommend any good sources for parts for Charvel imports?

Now I've always despised Basswood guitars, never liked they way they sounded, but I gotta say, this damn thing rings/vibrates like a church bell! Talk about resonant...YIKES! I guess it sounds so good because the basswood body has had 19 years to dry out. :-)

I have a Duncan TB5 I'm gonna throw in it for now, but ultimately I'm going with EMG's because I like the way they sound and also the fact that they have very low string drag. I'll wire it for 18 volt operation.

Damn! I love this thing! I'm glad to be a Charvel owner!!!

Congrats! Dave (Budman68 here) is the source for oversize pickup rings, and he also makes lots of other great parts. Here's his site:

Looks like he's taking a break from making stuff to order right now, though. It might be worth contacting him in case he has any made up that will fit what you plan on installing.

Comment

Congrats. I had a Desert Crackle 475 years ago and they are sweet.

I actually like basswood as a tone wood. I have a killer Anderson Pro Am that is basswood that is super light, resonant, and just screams. Lots of builders, including Suhr and Anderson, speak highly of basswood. As with all woods, I think it really depends on the individual slab you get.

Comment

was it this one i saw on ebay. might be the one you bought the guy put this youtube clip on the auction

"Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

Originally posted by Green Pro Am View Post

I actually like basswood as a tone wood. I have a killer Anderson Pro Am that is basswood that is super light, resonant, and just screams. Lots of builders, including Suhr and Anderson, speak highly of basswood. As with all woods, I think it really depends on the individual slab you get.
          Cool Axes indeed. I have 2 Desert Crackle 475 Deluxe's, Thanks to the Evil Bay I'm thinking on selling some of my Model Series to fund some cash for more axes and to make some room, they are taking over my house..

Comment

475's are great, way better than any import guitars I've ever played. They probably would hold their own against some USA models too I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwtt View Post
              was it this one i saw on ebay. might be the one you bought the guy put this youtube clip on the auction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ryne-6qSjM
              Nope, but that guitar in the clip sure does scream!

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                Congrats! Dave (Budman68 here) is the source for oversize pickup rings, and he also makes lots of other great parts. Here's his site:

Looks like he's taking a break from making stuff to order right now, though. It might be worth contacting him in case he has any made up that will fit what you plan on installing.
                Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Green Pro Am View Post

I agree, it probably depends of the individual piece of wood. I think the fact that this guitar has a high quality Floyd & locknut, plus the fact that the wood has had almost 2 decades to dry out is what makes it sounds so good acoustically. That's the acid test for a guitar's tone, acoustic or electric...it either sings or it doesn't, and this thing SINGS, even with the old strings on it. So, I'm excitedly looking forward to playing a Basswood guitar that I really love!

Comment

Originally posted by FastJunkie View Post
                    475's are great, way better than any import guitars I've ever played. They probably would hold their own against some USA models too I reckon.
                    Absolutely! This thing kicks the crap out of a TON of guitars that I've played!

Comment

the 80's Charvel imports were very high quality instruments and probably worth twice what they were going for, they were just made so well. I have an 86 red Model 2 that was my #1 for 20 years of on and off playing, and it is in such good shape that people are amazed it's 22 years old. it looks close to brand new (I take care of my shit) and the color is really bright.

they were built solid and that basswood sounded really great on those Model series guitars.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                      X