Model 6 nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 nut

Hello everyone, I am about to have a new nut made for my Model 6. I am not sure of what material to use. Please share any and all comments about your experience or recommendations concerning nut materials. Thanks in advance.

Mike

wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one from kalher?
    or is it a jt6. Those I think are pot metal.

Comment

If it's a JT-6 nut, I have one, for cheap, if ya want it.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        wouldn't it be cheaper to buy one from kalher?
        or is it a jt6. Those I think are pot metal.
        Huh? Model 6 has a regular string nut and a behind the nut clamp(a la Kahler) I am going to replace the string nut. Material of choice: bone, Tusq, Slipstone, graphite, brass, etc.

Comment

oh sorry I was thinking lock.

Comment

A Standard Allparts Graphite/composite (black plastic) nut will do the trick.
            Take the guitar into a decent music store and check out what will fit, in terms of width.
            No need to guess on that part.
            Then, bring it home, file the two surfaces that matter nice and flat (one surface touching the headstock, and the other butts up against the finger board, note that the angle is NOT 90 degrees/perpendicular... there is an angle to the headstock that needs to match).
            Once that angle is established, place it (without glue), install strings, and check first fret string height... it should be pretty darn close at the first fret...
            Don't glue it until you are sure you like the string height (unless you have a $80 set of nut files... I'm too damn cheap for that LOL).
            Ok... once you like it, a dot or two of super glue will keep it there... don't go over board.
            That's all I know.
            LOL
            I know this cuz I put one on uncle Al's Model 6.
            That's part of the reason I got the damn thing for 283 bucks.
            hehe
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              oh sorry I was thinking lock.
              Hehe. And I followed you, right down that same path. OOPS!
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
              X