No announcement yet.

Model 6 vs. SL3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just strung up my redone '87 M6 (no floyd...now a hardtail) to make sure everything is ok before paint, and all I can say is wow...I forgot how high quality they are, and now 21yrs old. Very impressed! Can't wait to finish it!
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
      I just strung up my redone '87 M6 (no floyd...now a hardtail)
      Interesting! Got any pics?
      Btw, how did you mount the hardtail to fit the neck angle?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Interesting! Got any pics?
        Btw, how did you mount the hardtail to fit the neck angle?
        Hijacking the thread!

I've been taking pics of the whole process and will post them at completion. This thing was busted up...broken headstock, fretboard coming up, and a cracked body. Had to keep reminding myself I was not trying to polish a turd. This thing originally had a Floyd so I routed a big block out of it and replaced with a big chunk of mahagony that came from gibson (scrap), also filled in the two single coils and all but one volume knob. Took all the finish of the neck. The neck angle was about 3 degree so I went with the gotoh 510 wraparound (my favorite), thinking that the bridge would be slammed I dremeled string grooves in the body for ease of restringing, but I think it would have been fine without them. Adds interesting lines to the face. Put on Sperzels and strung it up this weekend to make sure I didn't totally screw it up before I paint (hopefully this coming weekend...flat black, nothing fancy). It has not gone out of tune since, needs some fretwork though.
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Well, personally I'll go with the Charvel,better finish, better electronics, better look.

If you don't like the JT-6, it's easy to replace it with a Floyd Rose.
          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

One thing to consider is the individual pickup switching. I like to go from bridge to neck and back again...didn't like the Model 6 in that respect with the switch off bridge and on with the neck etc etc
            Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Model 6 Dude!!!
              Ratt & Roll

Comment

Model 6 is way mo cooler!!!

Comment

Working...
                X