Charvel Model 3 Pickup Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 3 Pickup Suggestion

Allright here is the deal, I have Charvel Model 3 and stock J-90C humbucker in the bridge which I don't wanna change but I have problem with J100 pickups in terms that I don't like single coil noise (even they are pretty quiet for single) and I need some more high output pickup to balance with J-90C. I would like to have "normal" looking pickups so if any means possible to avoid looks of like JB Jr or some rail (bladed) pickup it would be great. No EMG or any active pickups, just passive things, I am opened to SD or DiMarzio. Noiseless neck pickup is that I seek as middle pickup I don't really use (but you can put some suggestion if you think that will be good for middle). Tnx in advance guys!

Try an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit I use them and they seem to quiet down a noisy single coil pickup.IMO the J100's smoke the Fender singles lots fatter tone.Try an HS3 DiMarzio in the neck plenty strong enough pickup.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Maybe coincidence but right now I have HS-3 in the neck and I am searching for replacement as its very low output pickup and there is no way to balance sound to be barely noticable difference in volume between that two pickups as HS-3 has just around 90mV output which is less even then vintage stock fender pickups

Comment

Aren't those singles stacked already to reduce noise?
        I haven't tried them but try SD stack or stack plus. those are their only strat looking hum canceling passive pickups that I see.
        Dimarzio has lots of hum canceling strat looking pickups.
        I have the ssl5 and ssl6 and like those a lot but they're are not hum canceling. I love my hot rails too but they have the blades.

Comment

So only SD is that hm... so some DiMarzio... what to choose... any favorites?

Comment

Quarter Pounder, or does that count as non-traditional?

I really think you should consider a railed pickup. The J200R in my Deluxe Fusion matches very nicely to the J90C.

Comment

Well Quarter Pounder is true single coil, its not noise cancelling which i need. Thing is that I want some pickup that will give me nice strat like (doesn't need to be spot on but more in that terms of tone rather then humbucker) clean tone but again to be hotter output so it can match J-90C, I am afraid that rail pickup doesn't have that sparkle like more "true" single coil pickup (even its stacked humbucker), or I am wrong?

Comment

The HS-3 is 23.72 K thats pretty hot IMO. A Fender stock single is around 9K.The J-90c is around 15K so you maybe getting a vol drop between the two.
                The HS-3 is 93 MV.
                The pickups noise (60 cycle hum) only occurs when you take your fingers off the strings for the most part.I don't have a problem with the noise in my strat because I have an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit and its quiet as a mouse.
                The HS-3's are very nice pickups nice cleans and plenty of punch on the bottom.
                I did a strat for a customer he wanted a virtual vintage in the neck,HS-2 in the middle and HS-3 in the bridge.
                It sounded pretty good but sounded better after taking the tone control off the middle and switching it to the bridge position. It opened up the middle pick up and brought out the cleans.
                Last edited by straycat; 09-28-2008, 11:49 AM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well I just (with all modern tech today) don't wanna any sufficient noise that I can avoid so that is why I am aiming noisefree pickup. HS-3 I have currently and its like 2.0mm (5/64) far away from low e and high e string depressed at last fret. If I raise it a bit more stratitis will occur and on clean there is good volume drop, when in overdrive its far less noticable but it is enough to annoy (when compared to J-90C). Will it occur even with higher output pickup in neck? Should I keep then HS-3?

Comment

I've always liked the duncan Vintage staggered stack. Now called the classic stack i think. Great vintage tone and hum cancelling. They also have a hot stack. But thats a rail pup. They used to have a Qtr pounder stack and the hot stack used to be a clsc looking single. instead of the rail.
                    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      The HS-3 is 23.72 K thats pretty hot IMO. A Fender stock single is around 9K.The J-90c is around 15K so you maybe getting a vol drop between the two.
                      The HS-3 is 93 MV.
                      The pickups noise (60 cycle hum) only occurs when you take your fingers off the strings for the most part.I don't have a problem with the noise in my strat because I have an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit and its quiet as a mouse.
                      The HS-3's are very nice pickups nice cleans and plenty of punch on the bottom.
                      I did a strat for a customer he wanted a virtual vintage in the neck,HS-2 in the middle and HS-3 in the bridge.
                      It sounded pretty good but sounded better after taking the tone control off the middle and switching it to the bridge position. It opened up the middle pick up and brought out the cleans.
                      No offense, but the HS-3 is not a hot pickup, it has a very low signal, even Malmy, who claims to have contributed to the design, says that. I have the HS-3 with a VV solo 2 on my Strat and the Solo has much more output...

Personally I suggest this pickup, the original solo or the SD hot stack to match a high output humbucker...
                      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                      '92 Fender Strat scallop
                      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

On the SD forum they talk of cool rails sounding stratty without the hum. Maybe that might work? EMG singles are stratty as well without the hum (think Pink Floyd) but you ruled those out as well.

Maybe Lace Sensors? (one of the hotter colors).

The problem is, you can't stay stratty and have a high output IMO.

Comment

Well then what it will be best compromise between if not hot then medium output so it can balance better with bridge humbucker and somehow straty sound when clean when overdriven it can be fatter that is no problem but on clean to be a bit sparkly, I will consider even railed pickup now...

Comment

Originally posted by Johann View Post
                            Well Quarter Pounder is true single coil, its not noise cancelling which i need. Thing is that I want some pickup that will give me nice strat like (doesn't need to be spot on but more in that terms of tone rather then humbucker) clean tone but again to be hotter output so it can match J-90C, I am afraid that rail pickup doesn't have that sparkle like more "true" single coil pickup (even its stacked humbucker), or I am wrong?
                            You can always have Duncan make you a pickup to your specifications in their Custom Shop.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I am from Serbia so it would be pretty difficult for me to get that colaboration with SD so I am chasing stock SD or DiMarzio pickups. I am open to more opinions, tnx guys for advices

P.S. If somebody have case for Charvel Model 3 (original one) in mint/good condition and want to sell it let me know please!

Comment

Working...
                              X