Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late 80s Model 3 or 4...what is Jackson counterpart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 80s Model 3 or 4...what is Jackson counterpart?

Hey Guys-

With regards to the late 80s Charvel Model 3's and 4's (old logo), is there a Jackson counterpart that is the same?

I am a drummer who messes around on guitar and want a Model 3 or 4, with an original chainsaw case, but they are few and far between on the 'bay and locally...just missed a nice Model 4 that closed yesterday.

Anyway, was wondering if there was a Jackson from the same timeframe that was "identical" to the 3 or 4? Looking for a nice piece, in good shape (wouldn't mind having one repainted, but not able to do own pup/switch work), with a Floyd Rose, for around that $300 - $350 price point.

Thanks!

check ebay!on there everyday almost.Not few and not far between.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Jacksons, especially modern ones, won't match up in quality with the old Charvels (given what you pay for each of them...). Although the construction quality may be similar, it's usually superior on Charvels (late 80s Model Series), same goes for their materials (tonewoods, fretwire, electronics). The only weak point of Charvels is some hardware - some electronics get scratchy, and the JT-6 bridge is shit, but a direct swap for an OFR.

Comment

At that time all Jacksons were USA-made. They did make some full-size strats similar to the Model Series, but they'll be harder to find and way more expensive. Just be patient and you should have no problem getting a nice Model 3 in your price range. A 4 in good shape may be a little more.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys!

So a JT-6 is a Jackson tremelo, but you can swap in an OFR with no modification? What about the locking nut...just swap out as well or leave alone?

Thanks!

Comment

Generally, you can leave the behind-the-nut lock alone. An OFR locknut can be installed, but it requires that a wedge-shaped shelf is added for it to rest on.

Comment

There are 4 model 4s ending in the next 30 minutes on ebay in that price range. No bids. Go get one.

Comment

Yeah, I see there are a couple white ones, a balck one, and a red one...most don't have an OHSC, and the ones that do seem a bit rough...but I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks All!

Comment

P.S. Are there some Model 4's from the late 80s that originally came with an OFR or are they all JT's unless modded?

Comment

P.S. Are there some Model 4's from the late 80s that originally came with an OFR or are they all JT's unless modded
                    86 they came with kahlers and the rest of the time they had JT6s. Later the 475s had schallers, but by that time the bodies were dinkies(there maybe a year when there weren't).

Comment

My buddy's Model 3 (86-88 sonewhere in there) has a Floyd...didn't realize different models had different trems...just thought it was electronics and neck differences.

Is there somewhere on JCF, or elsewhere, that has a pic and description of each model?

Thanks

Comment

All the catalogs are here:

Here's a site done by another member here that's a little easier to search through & compare models. There are a couple of inaccuracies, but overall he did a great job:

Last edited by dg; 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I think the OP was asking what the Jackson equivilent to the Model 3 or 4 was back in 1986, not a current Jackson model. I never was familiar with Jackson models that were USA (and still am not, I'm partial to the older Japanese Charvel/Jacksons) made, that said I will take a stab as say it was a Soloist Studio. But then again I thought the Soloists were 24 frets...

Comment

do you mean Student? It had dots & a rosewood fretboard, but apart from that differed in that the Models had full size Strat bodies & bolt-on necks, were made of basswood & in Japan.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

I confirm I was able to throw an OFR into my Model 4 without any modifications. No routing, no new trem posts required, nothing. I left the behind the lock nut alone, I prefer it to a "regular" R4 locking nut because I use seriously heavy strings (10-52 in E standard) and I don't know if the regular nut could stand it without getting seriously grooved.

The only thing I had to do when installing a new OFR had nothing to do with the guitar, but rather with the OFR itself. I bought a new OFR with a 37mm block. Model Series Charvels need a 43mm block. So I got one of those massive sustain blocks from FloydUpgrades.com, the 43mm block of course, and it replaced the 37mm one on the OFR. No problems, of course, and wow the thing makes the guitar have considerably more balls. My RG350 sounds pretty tinny in comparison to my Model 4 it's not even funny considering it has a SD Distortion in the bridge and the Model 4 still has the good old stock J-50BC, which is obviously much lower output than the Distortion (8.5k vs the Distortion's 16.6k). Obviously this comes to show that pickups, especially pickup output, are far from everything necessary to make a guitar sound heavy.

Comment

Working...
                              X