More Charvel Floyd Rose Questions - JT6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Charvel Floyd Rose Questions - JT6

Buddy has a model 3 with the JT6 Floyd in it. Back in the day, he had a Charvel with the JT590 (Schaller) in it, and from what I have read here and elsewhere, the JT590 is superior. Not to mention the fact that my buddy would prefer the fine tuners to be on top, not in the back.

Anyway, here are the questions I have:

1) He says when even fret-bending a note on his Model 3, the guitar will go out of tune...can this be solved by blocking the trem so it can only "dive-bomb" and not pull up?

2) Can the JT6 be swapped out with a JT590? Would there be any routing necessary? Would the locking nut need to be replaced?

3) Finaliy, if I am in the market for a Charvel, should I opt for the Toothpaste models (375, 475, etc) that came with the JT590 originally?

1. Springs are probably toast
    2. yes... you can also use an OFR. You can even get OFR friendly replacement trem posts from http://www.fretsonthenet.com
    3. See point 2. Get what ever you want... the JT-6 can always be replaced with a better trem with very little effort.
    -Rick

Comment

On your buddy's guitar, the string lock plates in the behind-the-nut lock may also be the culprit if they're badly grooved. Fretsonthenet has replacements for those as well. You don't have to put a Floyd nut on if you swap the trem, but make sure the plates aren't letting the strings slip.

Comment

could it not be worn knife edges on the trem?
        my Spectrum goes out of tune if i hit the trem up or down, regardless of which.

Comment

Absolutely. There are several different things that can go wrong on either the bridge or nut end.

Comment

JT-6 is shit, just get an OFR, here this guy has them cheap and they're the real deal (Made in Germany stamped on baseplate)...

Comment

I like the JT-6
              Sorry

Don't mean to confuse things here

They work just fine

More often than not, the problem is at the locking nut end.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                I like the JT-6
                Sorry

Don't mean to confuse things here

They work just fine

More often than not, the problem is at the locking nut end.

+1. It may be a cheaper metal, but it works just fine.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

what can go wrong at the locking nut end?

maybe i should just take off my locking nuts and see if that's the cause?
                  i cant imagine how it WOULD be tho, if they are clamped under and not going anywhere

<shrug>

Comment

The JT-6 lock nut are notorious for slipping when the plates get worn.
                    -Rick

Comment

take them out and sand them 90 degrees to the string direction so they are flat, and grab the stings.

also, just be sure the strings are getting grabbed by them.

sometimes the higher strings come through at an angle that misses the block completely.

push the string between the locking nut and the tuner to test for slippage

Live long and prosper

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                      --floydkramer

Comment

sorry to hyjack, would it be possible to fit a 42mm block to a JT580 and use it as a raised application?

Comment

Ok, in MarkThomas's first post, on issue 1)...if you block it so that it only dive-bombs, that is basically the same as bending a note, as you are loosening the tension either way. I think I made sense...the rear of the trem is coming up in both instances. Or something like that.
                          I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

not if you crank ur springs. also is it feasable to reshape the knife edges?

Comment

Originally posted by varador View Post
                              JT-6 is shit
                              I see alot of people saying this but so far, once I got it set up it has worked fine, the tuning has not changed even by a cent and I've played the shit out of this guitar and divebomb whammy madness.

My guess is maybe the metal wasn't as good as an OFR so they wear out faster this guitar I have has been beaten to all hell but it looks like it was actually rarely played, just some idiot didn't store it in a case so it has chips and dings all over the place. But the hardware is almost like new still.

Comment

Working...
                              X