Trem swapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem swapping

I've looked at all of (I think) the sites out there regarding the Jackson made trems. I really liked Henricks as well as Budman's. Very helpful.

However, neither one of those two sights are giving much input as to what I want to maybe do.

I have a Model 5FX that I think is one of the best playing guitars I've ever touched. It has a perfectly functional JT-6 trem on it now.

I have a JT-580LP lying around that was possibly made by Schaller according to Henrick's website.

I have heard a lot of folks on here giving the JT-580 (not the JT-580LP mind you) bad reviews and a lot of people feeling the need to swap it out.

My question to all is, do you feel that a guitar would be better with a JT-6 or a JT-580LP?

In other words, is it worth it for me to do a swap out?
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I have a model 5FX and think it is one of the best playing guitars I have ever played also. It has the JT-6 and has worked flawlessly since 1988 - when I bought it new (although I was never rough with it and I babbied it to death - I also never played out with it and it sat for a few years without being played until I started getting serious about music again ).

Comment

The JT580 was not made by Schaller... they were made by at least two companies, probably three; an unknown one, Takeuchi, and probably TRS. I think you should leave it as is, as the JT6 is probably an equal trem, with the difference being mainly looks at this point, as the JT580 has a thin look due to it's used in recessed routes that makes it look cheap on non recessed guitars imo. Now if you have a JT590 (which is the one made by Schaller), I would go for it, one of the reasons being ease of use over the JT6.

Comment

Every guitar I've played with a JT-6 always seemed to have a really dull sound, where the highs are dampened. I think it has a lot to do with the crappy soft metal they used on those. It's a nice design, and it's too bad that Jackson didn't spring for better materials and casting quality (hardened steel) when they had those made. It's kind of weird that they didn't, when you consider that the JT-6 was used even on Jackson's high-end guitars in '87-88. I would always change it out for a JT-590 (which is just the Schaller trem with a Jackson logo) or an OFR. However, I would never recommend the TRS-made JT-580. Very poor quality, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
          Every guitar I've played with a JT-6 always seemed to have a really dull sound, where the highs are dampened. I think it has a lot to do with the crappy soft metal they used on those. It's a nice design, and it's too bad that Jackson didn't spring for better materials and casting quality (hardened steel) when they had those made. It's kind of weird that they didn't, when you consider that the JT-6 was used even on Jackson's high-end guitars in '87-88. I would always change it out for a JT-590 (which is just the Schaller trem with a Jackson logo) or an OFR. However, I would never recommend the TRS-made JT-580. Very poor quality, IMHO.
          Actually, the knife edges and part of, if not all of the baseplate seem to be hardened steel, but you're right in that the rest is cheap pot metal. You know, I wonder if you could retrofit a big block to one? I also would stay away from newer, chrome JT580s or ones that are not the Takeuchi units... my Tak 580 lasted 15 years, and was a great trem.

Comment

The knife edge inserts are hardened steel, but the entire rest of the JT-6 appears to be pot metal. Ibanez has always done the same thing with the Edge bridges, and it's a real shitty penny-pinching thing to do. Unlike the Edge, at least you can replace the JT-6 with an OFR.

I can never keep track of the various iterations of the JT-580, but most I've seen from the mid-'90s on were the same trem as you see on various Korean imports, including Ibanez, Schecter and ESP LTD. I never got along with those trems--they never seem to return to zero pitch and the fine tuners don't move very well.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
              The knife edge inserts are hardened steel, but the entire rest of the JT-6 appears to be pot metal. Ibanez has always done the same thing with the Edge bridges, and it's a real shitty penny-pinching thing to do. Unlike the Edge, at least you can replace the JT-6 with an OFR.

I can never keep track of the various iterations of the JT-580, but most I've seen from the mid-'90s on were the same trem as you see on various Korean imports, including Ibanez, Schecter and ESP LTD. I never got along with those trems--they never seem to return to zero pitch and the fine tuners don't move very well.
              I would say that the original Edge wipes the floor with the OFR, same with with the licenced floyds that were on the Charvel contemporary series (475 etc.)

those 2 trems are the best floyds going IMHO

then there's the Kahler, which is maybe the best trem going
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
              X