Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing default locking nut on Model 4 with Kahler string lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing default locking nut on Model 4 with Kahler string lock?

Hey guys

Is it possible to replace the stock behind-the-nut string lock on a 1988 Model 4 with a Kahler 5513 standard string lock?

The old string lock on my Model 4 is a bit tired. I took apart the thing and the pressure pads are seriously grooved from the strings.

Throwing an OFR into my Model 4 helped improve tuning stability, but I think the old string lock is the next weak link.

So let me know! Thanks

Yeah, you should be able to drop in right in. That's what they had in the 86 Model 4s, like mine, although, when I got mine, used, it had the Jackson nut, like yours has, so I swapped it for the year-specific nut. Only major diff between the two is that one locks with allen wrenches, and the other with a flat-blade.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I just take the locking pads over to the belt sander in sand the grooves smooth and reuse them.BTW round the edges after you do this so you don't break the strings when locking them down.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You could just flip them over if they are not worn on both sides.

Comment

Also. I believe that Budman, www.fretsonthenet.com, sells these pads. Check him out.

Comment

Direct replacement. I've done it. But I would advise to do what these guys said. Try to reuse to original. The Kahler uses an allen wrench which to me isn't as handy

Comment

Replace it with a FR one. If that's possible....

Comment

Working...
              X