Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My J-80 crapped out. What should I replace it with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My J-80 crapped out. What should I replace it with?

I'm trying to keep this post within the forum rules. I had a J-80 in a Warmoth parts guitar that just sounded killer but it has recently died.

What would you guys suggest replacing it with that would sound as close as possible to this one did?

Thanks

No idea what the J-80 sounds like. But I dig the following in the bridge pos:

- EMG 81
    - Duncan Screamin' Demon
    - Duncan Distortion

What kind of sound do you like?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      No idea what the J-80 sounds like. But I dig the following in the bridge pos:

- EMG 81
      - Duncan Screamin' Demon
      - Duncan Distortion

What kind of sound do you like?
      The J-80 sounded killer. I have other guitars with cool pickups but the J-80 seemed different than most of my other pickups. It was like halfway between vintage and hot but still with good articulation and chunk.

Comment

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Comment

What happened to the pickup exactly? You may be able to fix it.Check to see if one of the north south wires is broken or maybe a bad solder connection inside the cavity.
          Describe the problem maybe I can help the J-80's are killer pickups IMO.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I used to have a J-80, and IIRC it ohmed out at 8 ohms. That would put it in the low to medium output category.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              I sent you a PM. Did you get it?
              I did get it and am going to check into getting some alnico magnets for a possible swap with that ceramic. Last pickup I swapped magents in (Duncan EVH) I broke one of the wires and it cost me $30 to have fixed. I'm not sure what is wrong with my J-80.

My repair guy charged me $30 to fix my broken EVH so I'll see if he can save the J-80..... but if not I'll need a replacement.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
                I did get it and am going to check into getting some alnico magnets for a possible swap with that ceramic. Last pickup I swapped magents in (Duncan EVH) I broke one of the wires and it cost me $30 to have fixed. I'm not sure what is wrong with my J-80.

My repair guy charged me $30 to fix my broken EVH so I'll see if he can save the J-80..... but if not I'll need a replacement.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
                Think about it....the only reason it cost you $30 was because it was the EVH model....if it was just a JB or a DD ....it would have been a $15 fix...damn that money grubbin EVH and his lawers!!!!!

and as a side note...I am absolutely zero help in this post and for that I apologize.
                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubtone View Post
                  I did get it and am going to check into getting some alnico magnets for a possible swap with that ceramic.
                  Gotcha. I figured it might've been a J80C since you had said it came out of an import. Most of them used the ceramic version, but from what people here have said, there was a lot of variation from official catalog specs in what they actually put in the guitars.

Does yours have the black pole pieces (early ones did) or the chrome? Jackson or Charvel stamped into the bottom, or neither and just a sticker? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm going to ask around for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X