model 6 active electronics question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model 6 active electronics question

I have a Model 6 and really like the active electronics that it has. I have a Fusion that i am rebuilding. I would like to add active electronics similar to my model 6. Would the EMG afterburner be comparable to the stock active setup in a model 6? If not what would would be? I am going to add the J-90 to the Fusion that i pulled from the model 6. I have two HotRrails single coils in the Fusion also. Any opinions on that setup?Model 6 currently has an Invader that rips!
    Also need a neck for the fusion.What are my options? Can i just snag any Jackson or Charvel neck that i like off the bay?
    Thanks!!

I think the Afterburner is a flat boost. I think something like the EMG SPC would be closer to the mid-boost of the Jackson preamp. I bought an older version of one, on Ebay, last year to put into my Model 4 (same electronics as the Model 6, by the way.), but have been unsuccessful in getting it to work, properly. Someone said the op-amp may be bad. I'll let you know if I get it running.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I see an active model 4 preamp on Ebay now,but buying old electronics like that can be dicey thats why i was looking for something new like the EMG.

Comment

EMG PA2 is a nice boost and makes your output Low impedience.

Comment

The afterburner is a Db boost - just more gain.

The 1200 in the Model 4 was a mid boost. The Fusion came with the 1500 Freq Sweep boost which sounds mostly like a wah.

I've found with modern amps and preamps, you really don't need a boost - mids or otherwise. If your dealing with something like a hot rodded plexi, then you might need some sort of boost, but I would then go with a pedal.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            The Fusion came with the 1500 Freq Sweep boost which sounds mostly like a wah.

Charvel fusion? Mine had passive electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
              Charvel fusion? Mine had passive electronics.
              The first Jackson Fusions (import and USA) came with active electronics.

Comment

OK. Mine is a Charvel. i assume its an import even though it says Fort Worth on the neck plate.

Comment

Yeah, that's actually where the business was located at that point, and really had no bearing on where it was made.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

What you can do to make all of your guitars utilise the JE-1200 is remove if from your model4 and wire it up into a little jiffy box so any guitar you plug in goes through it. I've done this and it's awesome, even guys with their s**tty epiphones etc. plug in and say how responsive my rig is (I don't tell them what they are plugged in to....) Further to this you can put a bypass switch on it also...

Comment

Originally posted by badams View Post
                      What you can do to make all of your guitars utilise the JE-1200 is remove if from your model4 and wire it up into a little jiffy box so any guitar you plug in goes through it. I've done this and it's awesome, even guys with their s**tty epiphones etc. plug in and say how responsive my rig is (I don't tell them what they are plugged in to....) Further to this you can put a bypass switch on it also...
                      Now that is an awesome idea!!
                      Can you post a step by step and possibly some pictures of this?
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven
                      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I took a Hush unit, and put a switchable EMG PA-2 into it on the front end. I used the Hush to clamp down on the guitar before the the CAE3+se preamp saw the signal.

Worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by badams View Post
                          I've done this and it's awesome, even guys with their s**tty epiphones etc. plug in and say how responsive my rig is (I don't tell them what they are plugged in to....) Further to this you can put a bypass switch on it also...
                          Funny you mention Epiphone. I could not play mine without it feeding back horribly. I threw the POS stock pickups in the trash. Put a Duncan distortion in the neck and an Invader in the bridge. Put in a high output volume pot and the thing sceams in a good way now. I love it!

Comment

Here's a pic of the je-1200 in a little jiffy box - showing in/out jacks, volume, boost controls (Removed tone control) and powerpack(9V regulated). I have it going into my rocktron patchmate first so I can turn it off or on although I always leave it on!

Its pretty easy to do - a slight knowledge of electronics is required......one of the best things I did.

Comment

That jiffy box with a je-1200 is a really cool idea. I think I'm gonna try to build it after the holidays.

Comment

Working...
                              X