Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickups were used

in each of the Model Series guitars?

I've got a couple of guitars that I know still have the stockers in them, and I've always wondered what the designation of the pups were.

Like for instance, I know for a fact that from the factory, both the Model 5a and the Model 88 came with the J95. These were supposedly the only guitars that ever got taht pup unless it was ordered for a custom Jackson specifically.

Model 1 (all genres of Model 1's) = ?
    Model 2 = ?
    Model 3 1986 = J 90 Humbucker (single coils = ?)
    Model 3 1987 and 1988 = ?
    Model 4 = ?
    Model 5 (all genres of the Model 5 including 5FX) Model 5a =J95, all the rest = ?
    Model 6 = ?
    Model 7 = ?
    Model 8 = ?
    Model 88 = J95
    Anyone got this info anywhere?
    I don't think that the catalogs had the pup info in them, or of they did, I missed it somehow.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by bombtek; 11-28-2008, 10:23 PM.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Model 1 & Model 2 - J90C

Model 1A - 3 J100 singles

Model 3 - J90C & 2 J100 singles

Model 3A - 2 J80C

Model 4 & Model 6 - J50BC & 2 J200 stacked hums

Model 5 - 2 J80C

Model 5FX - not sure, but it was basically a 5A with added J100, so I think it may have had a J95 in the bridge

Model 7 - not positive, but I think it had 2 J120 singles like the Legend, which replaced it the following year, but it's possible that they were J100s. The pickups in mine have been replaced. Somebody here should know for sure.

Model 8 - I think it had active electronics & 3 J200 stacked hums like the Spectrum

The pickups are listed in the catalogs for most of the guitars, btw. Quite a few folks here have said that they have all-original guitars that have different pickups than what was listed, though.
    Last edited by dg; 11-29-2008, 12:02 AM.

Comment

I got the specs for the pickups from the 1987 Charvel Import catalog.
      J90 - 15.93K
      J80 - 13.00K
      J50 - 11.65K

J200 - 8.58K (single coil)
      J100 - 6.10 (single coil)
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
        I got the specs for the pickups from the 1987 Charvel Import catalog.
        J90 - 15.93K
        J80 - 13.00K
        J50 - 11.65K

J200 - 8.58K (single coil)
        J100 - 6.10 (single coil)
        yeah, but did you get which guitars were equipped with what from the catalog as well?
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

The pickups are definitely listed in the specs for the models in the catalogs. Not the electronics manual, but in the yearly catalogs:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/jackson-charv...cans.php?cat=3

I checked them in the '86 & '87 catalogs last night to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes in my post.
          Last edited by dg; 11-29-2008, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Yeah.

Model 1 - (1) J90C (15.93K)
            Model 1A - (3) J100's (6.10K)
            Model 2 - (1) J90C (15.93K)
            Model 3 - (2) J100's (6.10K) and (1) J90C (15.93K)
            Model 3A - (2) J80's (13.00K)
            Model 4 - (2) J200's (8.58K) and (1) J50BC (11.65K)
            Model 5 - (2) J80C's (13.00K)
            Model 6 - (2) J200's (8.58K) and (1) J50BC (11.65K)
            Last edited by metalchurch79; 11-29-2008, 12:42 PM.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

mc, don't forget your Cs (ie. J90C, J80C, etc.) They made ceramic & alnico versions of most of the bridge position pickups, and the ceramics were the ones used on the Model Series for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                mc, don't forget your Cs (ie. J90C, J80C, etc.) They made ceramic & alnico versions of most of the bridge position pickups, and the ceramics were the ones used on the Model Series for the most part.
                Fixed, thanks!
                Cause that would be the next question...
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

OK thanks,
                  My next question since this model is not in the catalogs (that I can see) is what is in the model 5FX?
                  I know the single is a J100 cuz I just pulled it out and looked at the sticker still on it, but what the hell is the bridge (that one did not have a sticker on it)?
                  Sure doesn't sound like a 5A's J95.

Comment

Well, part of the problem is, is that they were kinda inconsistent in their humbuckers. My 86 Model 4, that I got, new, actually had a J80C in it, yet I've seen it listed as other model pickups. Somone once said, here, that they probably grabbed what they had, it that sounds to be pretty much correct.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                      ...what is in the model 5FX? ... Sure doesn't sound like a 5A's J95.
                      My 5FX had a J95 at the bridge position ! I wasn't very impressed with the sound, so I swapped it.
                      I've put in a J90C, which is just perfect for the tone I want.
                      uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Working...
                      X