Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model massacre! Pics not for feint of heart

Well, maybe its not that bad.

So I was really pissed 4 years ago when I got my 1A and discovered that the swimming pool route is really shallow on these things. That makes it difficult to drop in some hummers. My original action was not invasive - I bought some duncans with really short legs and then after mounting them to the pickguard, cut off the ends of the screws so that the pickups would fit in the shallow route.

A couple X-mas's ago, I recieved a Dremel and upon receipt, I said to myself, "one day, I've got to do something about that Model 1A."

Well, that day was today. Good god - I have zero wood working skill.

The good news - its now a universal route.

The bad news - Its kind of a semi-hollow body now.
    Last edited by Grandturk; 11-30-2008, 05:16 PM.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

That's cool. I've done that to guitars with a hammer, chisel and/or screwdriver before. Looks like a nice 1A- get an Allparts 1 hum 1 knob pickguard in B/W/B and maybe a creme F-spaced Tone Zone or Super Distortion, wire that baby up with a 500k pot and then you've really got the goods. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
      That's cool. I've done that to guitars with a hammer, chisel and/or screwdriver before. Looks like a nice 1A- get an Allparts 1 hum 1 knob pickguard in B/W/B and maybe a creme F-spaced Tone Zone or Super Distortion, wire that baby up with a 500k pot and then you've really got the goods. Nice work!
      Oh, I've already got a Screamin' demon in there. Replaced my last setup of Distortion/Jazz neck. She screams, alright.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Maybe for this Christmas you can ask for a dremil base.
        I guess that what the guard is for.

Comment

The best part is that you fixed your problem, and you got some experience workin on wood. The pickguard will cover that up so that's another plus side!

Should have practiced on something else first, but it's ok.
          If your Dremel kit came with a sanding drum, you can use that to clean up the routing a little bit better.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

You are a braver man than I. It looks like you chewed it out.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Good man! Now drop a single hum in there and post some pics
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Next time try some double sided tape to attach a straight edge (or hole pattern) to the guitar. Then the dremel has a guide to work with. I couldn't live in my shop without permacel (best two sided tape out there) and router patterns.
                www.JerryRobison.com
                '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                  It looks like you chewed it out.
                  "POOP"

Comment

All's fair when it comes to mods. So it doesn't look like an Amish piece of furniture. So what. I've seen worse. Hell, I've done worse back in the day. Find the pickup or pickups you like, hunt down a sexy scratch plate and have at it. Looks are of interest but how it feels and plays is far more important. It'll be fine when you're done.
                    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Working...
                    X