Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Model 3 arrived...with pics

Hey All-

Just got my Model 3 today. The listing on eBay had really bad pictures, so was going a little on seller claims and a bit of blind faith. I let it acclamate to the house temp for a while (it is in the 20s here) and was jonesing really bad.

Once I get her out of the box, I was very impressed with the condition of the case! No bad latches, hinges are perfect, and the case plastic is mint...almost looks like it has spent its 20+ years in a cozy closet.

After awhile longer, I opened the case and was able to see my baby in person for the first time...equally as impressive! Aside from a slighty grimey fretboard between the 3rd and 12th frets, a dusty Floyd, a couple of missing screws on one of the back covers, and a small "chunk" out of the back of the headstock, this guitar is mint! Even the screw heads and fine tuners, etc show no rust color...very happy!

Of course, I haven't played it yet, so jury is still out on electronics, set-up, etc...but have an excellent starting point here if nothing else.

This guitar came without the humbucker cover, so need some experts to verify it has the stock hummer in it...

Thanks!

Last edited by MarkThomas; 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM.

Congrats, Nice Score.

Comment

Thanks!

Electronics all seem to be 100%

Now will have to find time next week to clean 'er up and possibly get a professional set-up done. Whoever owned this before blocked the Floyd so it can only do dive bombs...should I leave that in there?

Comment

I'd say that isn't an OEM humbuck...

Should be a J90c I believe, it would have a solid cover w/Jackson printed on it...

Comment

Nice and tidy.
          Good score man!

Get that block outta there!

hehe
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
            I'd say that isn't an OEM humbuck...

Should be a J90c I believe, it would have a solid cover w/Jackson printed on it...
            Yeah, I realize that, but curious if this is what a J90c looks like with that cover removed?

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
              Nice and tidy.
              Good score man!

Get that block outta there!

hehe
              Thanks...much nicer than I even imagined!

Cool thing is, with the block in there, it can be drop-tuned to D with the fine tuner and the rest of the strings stay in tune...I assume that is not possbile on a floating JT-6?

Comment

The pickups under the plastic will be seriously splooged with epoxy to hold cover on and you'd be hard pressed to get it off acceptably. think that the pickups underneath aren't cosmetically as nice as your's looks. It's aftermarket, and probably a better quality pickup actually.
                Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 12-05-2008, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  The pickups under the plastic will be seriously splooged with epoxy to hold cover on and you'd be hard pressed to get it off acceptably. think that the pickups underneath aren't cosmetically as nice as your's looks. It's aftermarket, and probably a better quality pickup actually.
                  Ok...thanks!

When I go to clean it up, I will remove that pickup and see if it has a story to tell on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                    Thanks...much nicer than I even imagined!

Cool thing is, with the block in there, it can be drop-tuned to D with the fine tuner and the rest of the strings stay in tune...I assume that is not possbile on a floating JT-6?
                    You are correct, sir

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

I'm amazed the case lasted that long

I bought my Model 3 used in early '92 and the case had already gone walkies, along with the whammy arm.

Ditto my Model 5A when I bought it NOS in '02

The only Charvel case I have is the one that my NOS Model 3B came with in '05
                      Model 3
                      Model 5A
                      Model 3B
                      Journeyman
                      Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

Working...
                      X