New Charvel Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Charvel Project

Just picked up my second Charvel Model 5 off ebay but this one is going to be a project. Here is the auction for the guitar and I should have it next week. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123 Wish it would of been an 86 model with a kahler but these are hard enough to come by as it is.

This is going to be my winter project to help me learn more about setting up and working on a guitar. I am going to put Duncan Blackouts in it like I have in my other model 5 which I am going to install myself. We will see if I still remember how to solder from my military days.
    I am also going to get it repainted. Any recommendations on a good shop to get it refinished along with some graphics?

If you want to go with graphics Mike Learn is the guy for the refinish job.

Comment

Originally posted by Aso View Post
      I am also going to get it repainted. Any recommendations on a good shop to get it refinished along with some graphics?
      Congrats on the new project. Looks like you'll have some fun.

As far as refinishing goes, lots of folks have great luck with Mike Learn who's a member here and has a great website with all of his work, including the guitars he's painted for Jackson. He's got one of my project guitars right now and after speaking with him, I'm very excited to see what we can come up with.

Other than that, avoid Sims Custom Shop (in Tennessee) like the plague. He generally does really nice work (I had him refin my 2 Ibanez PGMs) but the experience itself is less-than-desireable. I will never do business with him again, just based upon the way he treats his other customers.

For more info, check out this site:

Keep us posted on the project.

Comment

Cool Guitar. I have a black Project Model 5 as well, Someday maybe.
        I am thinking of a Rhoads scheme, Black w/ White Polka Dots

Comment

Got the guitar Friday. Doesn't look to be in that bad of shape but it has one of the cheapest floyd's on it I have seen. Also the clearcoat appears to be bad. Will a Schaller Floyd Rose off a another Jackson work? If so I have one that I can user otherwise what are my options? I emailed Mike Learn about getting the guitar refinished but I haven't heard back from him yet. Just want to paint the guitar black with a yellow Machine Head logo on the guitar. That idea may change though.

Here is a picture of cheap Floyd.

And here is a picture of the pair of model 5's. Wish I could of found another one with a Kahler.(Yes I am odd because I prefer the Kahler)

Thanks for the advice all. I will keep this thread updated as the project progresses. It's a longer term project though because I will be trying to do most of the work myself.

Comment

Thanks Aso. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Comment

Aso- real nice brother! You have a lot of customizing options if you are going to refinish it, like making it into a 1 knob/1 hum special. A Schaller will work fine. I like the idea of the Machinehead logo. I've been a Machinehead fan since the beginning, I'm glad to see them on top 15 years later. I went to one of their shows a while back, it was awesome. The security dude patted me down for weapons and we both were laughing because I was the oldest guy there. The black 5 with the Kahler is really cool. Great setup have there!

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                Aso- real nice brother! You have a lot of customizing options if you are going to refinish it, like making it into a 1 knob/1 hum special. A Schaller will work fine. I like the idea of the Machinehead logo. I've been a Machinehead fan since the beginning, I'm glad to see them on top 15 years later. I went to one of their shows a while back, it was awesome. The security dude patted me down for weapons and we both were laughing because I was the oldest guy there. The black 5 with the Kahler is really cool. Great setup have there!
                I have seen Machine Head show from about every tour since the one in 94 where they opened up for Biohazard and Slayer. I got all the fan club items from when they started when it was just Rob and his girlfriend sending out the fan club stuff. So I am slightly a huge fan of their work. Was thinking of putting "Nation of Rage" with Machine Head logos on the back of the neck also seeing as that is what the original fan club was called. I still have all the newsletters from them also.

Going to play with a few other ideas but it will be Machine Head themed. Probably spending way more then I should on an old Model 5 but I can't afford the Helloween Bernie Rico Jr. Diva I want so this will get me by until I can in the next couple years.

-jason

Comment

Looks like an awesome project man! You'll have to update us when you're done.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I have decided to piece the guitar together to get it playable before I talk to Mike Learn about refinishing. Figure that if something is wrong with it or I don't like it I don't have the money into it for the refinish. I ordered Ducan Blackouts for it this morning because Musicians Friend had them on sale for less the $150 for the pair. I also picked up a Schaller made Jackson Floyd Rose. Put that on over the holidays but the barrel of where the trem arm goes seems to be too big and is tight up against the body of the guitar inside the trem cavity. Is this ok or should I try to remove some wood or find a different tremolo? The new Schaller tremolo came with the FR lock nut also but I see that won't work without some modifications. Looks like the guitar has the same locknut as Charvels with Kahlers. Is this going to cause me any problems?
                    I can post pictures of the what I am talking about if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X