Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Charvel Model 3A....I got Questions for you all

Hi guys!
    I've been lurking for quite a little bit,but I just wanted to show you all my pawnshop "rescue" It is a 3A(At least that is what I ASSUME!) My step-daughter works a a local pawn shop and called to tell me that the store put out "one of those Charvel thingies that you like so much". SO,I go down there expecting the worst(horrible homemade paint jobs or **ahem**"alterations")well, you can see from the pictures, I was relieved! Total damage including sales tax was right at $120.
    The only thing about the deal was that it came in a Washburn case(pretty ugly on the outside).
    Here are my questions for you folks:
    1)What company made those pickups? They kick TOTAL A**!
    2)I know a lot of people HATE this Kahler,Is there ANY way to"fix" it? I spent 3 HOURS intonating this thing. NOW when I play it,if you bend the strings with ANY gusto, the bridge shifts itself,knocking the whole guitar ever so slightly out of tune. You can remedy this by pushing down on the bridge and presto! Back in tune! AAAARRRRGHH!!
    Any suggestions?
    Peace to ya guys!
    Jimmbo

While I am not able to help with your kahler, I'll be the first to say welcome.

Comment

if they're the stock pickups, then they're good old made in the us of a jackson pickups.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I have the same unit on my Model 2. Have you tried the good old "Divebomb, and retune" method? Divebombing like, about 5 times at least? And lubricating the rollers with 3 in 1?

I did the above, and it really helped, as did the 3 in 1 oil. O'course, you could swap it out for a double locking Kahler (forget the model...maybe the Flyer???), but with a bit of tuning that Kahler should perform OK...
        http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I think the Kahler Killer 2700 series is a drop in replacement.

Maybe get that and some new studs.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll spend Christmas looking on the 'bay for those Kahler replacements. I tell ya I really like the tone outta this guitar better than my Jackson!!!

Comment

The great tone is from the J80C pick ups. The 1986 3A is the only model series I know to come with them.

Comment

Model 5's had a pair of J80c's in them, but they did have the plastic Jackson covers on them. Not sure if the 3's originally had the covers or not.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  Model 5's had a pair of J80c's in them, but they did have the plastic Jackson covers on them. Not sure if the 3's originally had the covers or not.
                  86's didn't, but 87 and up did..

Comment

Nice price on it. Looks great.
                    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                    X