Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do u get the string lock pads out on the Model 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do u get the string lock pads out on the Model 6?

How do you get the string lock pads (the ones at the head of the guitar not at the bridge) out, do u have to undo the 3 big screws that are locking the pads or the tiny screws that hold teh metal casing to the headstock?

BONUS QUESTION
    just came up with this the other day, now that i got a EMG-81 in my model 6 of course teh stock middle n neck sound like arse, so im thinkin about getting a EMG SA put in the neck n middle made dead NOW......would it be possible to get one of the 3 mini toggle switches taken out and get a 3 wayy toggle switch like on a gibson installed for the neck n bridge positions?
    Last edited by AussieTerry84; 12-25-2008, 08:49 AM.
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

As I remember on the Model 6, the string blocks are L shaped. Undo the allen bolts at the back of the trem and just lift them out. I really like that idea on a JT6, stops all the sweat and crap gunking up the trem.

Comment

If you are talking about the lock behind the nut . yes you have to undo the screws on it to get the pads out.(maybe not for the middle one. It's a pain in the ass to get the screws back into the pads if you don't have it off anyway.

Comment

sorry just to clarify im talking about the string lock at the head of the guitar, i'll edit that into my first post
        USA Jackson RR1
        Charvel Model 6
        Jackson Performer-2
        Orange Dark Terror
        EVH 5150 LBX
        Hello Senòr

Comment

If I remember correctly, you have to unscrew the whole assemble from the headstock to get the pads out - if you just take the screws out, the pads stay in the frame.

As to you electronics question - yes you could do this, however, you would have to either drill a new hole for the switch or widen an existing hole. Three way switches are bigger than the holes for the pots, so it would not fit one of the pot holes.

Do what you want, but IMO, I'd stick with the original control layouts unless you're getting a refin, then you could fill and drill to your hearts content.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

ah k guess i'll stick with the switches for now then.

so to to take the assembly off do i need to take off the strings? or is teh assembly actually OVER the strings and not all the way around em.
            USA Jackson RR1
            Charvel Model 6
            Jackson Performer-2
            Orange Dark Terror
            EVH 5150 LBX
            Hello Senòr

Comment

Just take off the strings, then take the lock off the guitar. It would be a good idea to inspect the whole thing, because sometimes there are also grooves in the inside of the top of the lock where the plates press the strings against it, not just the plates themselves. The sooner you rule that out, the better.

Comment

just to get one whing clear, if i take the strings off, i don't need to replace em do i? as they only been on for about a month n are still pretty new, sorry i've never taken a gander at the string lock assembly before, just wanna do it right.
                USA Jackson RR1
                Charvel Model 6
                Jackson Performer-2
                Orange Dark Terror
                EVH 5150 LBX
                Hello Senòr

Comment

just to get one whing clear, if i take the strings off, i don't need to replace em do i? as they only been on for about a month n are still pretty new, sorry i've never taken a gander at the string lock assembly before, just wanna do it right.
                  Nope you should be Ok.

Comment

unscrew the little screws, and take the whole shooting match off.

Comment

Those screws that hold the locking nut on are tiny...I was afraid to try and take that off for fear of stripping those little screw heads.

Comment

WOOT WOOT FUCKING WOOT

FIXED!!!
                        seems the B-string was just going thru the string lock incorrectly, stupid guitar-tech...so now its all fixed , im so happy i can use my whammy bar again and do bends aswell! Can't believe i paid that stupid guitar tech like $80 Australian and he couldn't even put the string thru properly! well luckily it was just my 2 yearly service, i do most of the work but i like to send it in everynow and then for a check up.
                        USA Jackson RR1
                        Charvel Model 6
                        Jackson Performer-2
                        Orange Dark Terror
                        EVH 5150 LBX
                        Hello Senòr

Comment

Originally posted by AussieTerry84 View Post
                          WOOT WOOT FUCKING WOOT

FIXED!!!
                          seems the B-string was just going thru the string lock incorrectly, stupid guitar-tech...so now its all fixed , im so happy i can use my whammy bar again and do bends aswell! Can't believe i paid that stupid guitar tech like $80 Australian and he couldn't even put the string thru properly! well luckily it was just my 2 yearly service, i do most of the work but i like to send it in everynow and then for a check up.
                          Great to hear, mate!

Comment

Working...
                          X