Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 4 Setup

Hi people !

I acquired a Charvel model 4 not too long ago, and since I got it I always seemed to have trouble with fret buzz. I can get the action really low but in the middle of the neck the notes just seem to die and buzz way too much, even with high action.

I noted that the neck seems angled. Is it supposed to be angled, and what could I do to stay away from the luthier ?

Thanks !

Originally posted by mr_dj07 View Post
    I can get the action really low but in the middle of the neck the notes just seem to die and buzz way too much, even with high action.
    You probably need some more relief in your neck.

Loosen the truss rod an 1/8 of a turn, then leave your guitar overnight with the strings tuned to pitch. If in the morning you still have fret buzz at the middle of the neck, loosen the truss rod another 1/8 turn, then try it again the next day.

I noted that the neck seems angled. Is it supposed to be angled, and what could I do to stay away from the luthier ?
    Yes, the neck is supposed to be angled, because the Model 4 has a non recessed trem.

Hope this helps!
    -QR

EDIT: The neck is supposed to be angled unless you got an '86 model with a Kahler... In which case I'm not sure, because all of the Model series Charvels that I've owned had JT-6 trems...
    Last edited by QuantumRider; 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM.
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

+1 to what Quantum says
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

Thank you very much, that's exactly the kind of information I was waiting for.

I really enjoy this forum, people seem real nice and useful !

Thanks again buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
          +1 to what Quantum says
          Agreed except for leaving the guitar overnight - I've never had a problem with adjusting a truss rod and having it shift more over a period of time. Every adjustment I've done has been instantaneous.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Agreed except for leaving the guitar overnight - I've never had a problem with adjusting a truss rod and having it shift more over a period of time. Every adjustment I've done has been instantaneous.

I've found that some necks are immediate in their response to truss rod adjustment, while others need time to settle down.
            For what it's worth, Charvels have been the most immediate to respond, and not needed any more adjustment a week or so later .. unlike one neck I could mention which needed setting up over about 3 days every month or so !

Comment

Working...
            X