Custom Inlays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Inlays?

hey guys, do you think putting custom inlays on a charvel 3dr is ok? i mean, do you people think this reduces the value or think like, "why did he do something like that to that guitar ?!?!" because im considering putting MOP block inlays on my 3dr, or maybe something more personal like my script name since i dont plan on selling this baby EVER. is it advisable or degrading to the great charvel?

I feel that if you put your name done with inlays, that will make the guitar undesirable for any one who doesn't share your name.

Regarding block inlays, I feel they would only hurt the value of the guitar for anyone who doesn't like block inlays and for anyone looking to but the guitar for its collectibility.

If it was my guitar and I wanted to change the inlays, I would just get another Charvel neck with shark's tooth inlays, swap out the original and put it away just in case you do ever decide to sell it (you never know).

Comment

oh, regarding collectability, are these charvel models really collectible already? or are they just in the process of being valued?

sorry i live in the philippines and charvels here are rare. so i kinda consider myself lucky for buying this for only 150 dollars.

Comment

One of the cool things about import Charvels is that they're great quality guitars but not really considered "collectible" (except maybe for the Model 88), so they're perfect for modding to your own taste. I agree that new inlays may hurt your resale value a little bit, especially if you make them very personalized, but it's not that big a deal. Make it your own & have fun with it.

Comment

That way I look at it, the more time goes, all quality guitars become collectible to a certain degree. There are plenty of folks here that salivate over old import Charvels.

Personally, I've only ever owned 1 guitar (1962 Gibson ED125TD) that I would have considered collectible. I didn't do anything to it except clean it and change strings. All my other guitars, they're players. I don't beat on them but I don't worry about keeping them stock.

Comment

If you don't plan to sell it or don't care about the resale, make it yours. Although I have over twenty guitars, I don't consider myself a collector so I play them all and I'm not afraid to mod if necessary.

Comment

how about just replacing the plastic dot inlays with MOP dot inlays? that doesnt require wood removal i think? and im sure that sohuld have no effect whatsover on her value

Comment

Or if you're never going to re-sell (like me) get whatever you like done! Having said that, I think I'd still get a spare neck, just in cast that wonderful design you have in mind ends up looking like shit!
                Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Working...
                X